Help! Chickens starting to sneeze and gurgle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jprice2ndlt, Jul 24, 2010.

1. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I've noticed a couple of my chickens are starting to sneeze and make a gurgling noise. I've looked for some antibiotics, but all have a warning that they aren't intended for use with chickens that produce eggs for human consumption. Are these still safe to use, if I don't collect eggs while the chickens are on them and also several days after I stop administering the medicine? I've also looked a vitamin/mineral/electrolyte mixes. I'm just not sure which route to take...

2. chikeemomma25

chikeemomma25 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Southeast AL
    I am interested in answers as well. I have had the same problem with some od mine. I treated a young hen with antibiotics as well as my rooster. I also purchased oxine to spray down the coop and add to their water. I sprayed the rooster with it...he didn't like it but is likes me now! Good luck! I hope someone answers.[​IMG]

3. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Have you opened their beak/mouth to look inside there?

4. Beth G.

I'm just curious if they have lumps/bumps all over their mouth and throat? Do they have a discharge from their nostrials? Anitbiotics is one item that has different opions and answers. I know some say that 3 days after dosing they are fine. Others say 10 days. Which leads me to believe there is no real studies to prove what the length of time might be. If you have doubt wait the 10 days. As for what could be wrong that is really hard to say and if you see signs of the lumps/bumps or discharge you should contact your State dept of ag and ask how to have your flock tested for disease. Good luck and I hope they feel better soon!

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  6. jprice2ndlt

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    This is what I found at Tractor Supply. Does anyone know if I can use it?
    [​IMG]

7. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:One of my chickens recently had a respiratory infection. We kept her at the vet for 3 days while she received antibiotic injections but the vet recommend the Duramycin for the other chickens in their water. We were told to use 1 Tablespoon to a gallon of water and give it to them in their waterers for about a week as a preventative measure and for the returning chicken. We got the Duramycin at Tractor Supply as well on our vets recommendation.
    We didn't even realize our chicken was sick until she stopped eating grapes and one of her eyes started to droop. Apparently she had been sick for a while and had a lot of drainage. We felt awful we hadn't realized this but we keep a closer eye now.
    Hope this helps.

8. Beth G.

Yes both are good. You should be giving them Electrolytes whenever they get stressed with flock newbie's or when it is really hot out. I don't know if I would use both at the same time b/c I believe they are to be both used in water right? maybe start with antibiotics then finish with elec's.

9. jprice2ndlt

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    thanks that helps me out alot. is the vitamins and electrolytes the same dosage? im gussing 1 table spoon per gallon of water.

10. Beth G.

I use a teaspoon. I don't know the proper dosage of that type. I have another kind I use and I just mix it with my 10 gallon water till I get the color right. Research the product online by googling the name. See if it comes back with someone or the Co telling you proper dosage. It is only Vit's, Min's, Etc. but on the other hand but too much of one thing sometimes is not good so, hard to say. Most times I just use my judgement on things like this. Good Luck I hope they are better really soon. I normally see improvement in 48 hours of using anitbiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by