Help Chickens trying to kill my duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jord4231, Jan 8, 2015.

1. jord4231

jord4231 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Hi all
    Wondering if you may be able to help
    2.5 weeks a go we got given a baby duck, We put him in the chickens and he immediately decided the unused small dog kennel was his that was great news because the chickens wouldn't use it because they don't like to duck down to get in.

Anyway he was good in there with the chickens for the first 5 hours then I went out to check on him, He had a big cut on his neck and was bleeding, So I took him inside nursed him better and built a timber run off the kennel to put him and I coverd in heavy duty bird netting so the chickens couldn't get to him, this has worked great he has a small pond 2 lots of drinking water shade food and a run.

Today when I opend the lid he has grown quite a bit and he jumped out with in 2 seconds the chickens all ran over to him and brutally attacked him cut him up real bad I literally had to grab and throw chickens off him to save him! so I've brought him in side to fix him up again although he is not as hurt as last time. Im concerned the chickens will break in to his run and get him they are As*ho**s to him I feel the would kill him if they got to him.

Should I move his little house out of the chicken area for now ? he doesn't seem to be scared of them still goes out in the run while the chickens are eyeing him off I'm hoping this will stop once he gets big.

Any thoughts or suggestions. Im thinking of building a separate duck area completely but that is a shame because the chicken area really is awesome

Thank you :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, keep him safe. Please don't risk his life. Birds can be awful to each other. And size difference contributes to that, often.

Do whatever you need to do to be sure they won't get to him. It may improve when he gets bigger. Meanwhile, Think about how you might get him two or three duck buddies.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - you have seen, twice now, that they are not going to be well suited to co-habitating. Time to work on constructing appropriate housing for your duck (and a couple of duck friends as they are not meant to be alone) that will keep it separate and safe from the chicken flock.

1 person likes this.
  4. jord4231

Feb 23, 2014
    Thanks guys I'll get on to that this weekend he is safe for now I'll get him a friend or 2 :)

1 person likes this.
  5. jord4231

Feb 23, 2014
    Well today I've started on his area It needs a good tidy up and finish off to make it nice be he sure looks happy to be away from those brutal chickens. He's already been in his pond

I cant believe those chickens though when I took his house out of the coop today they ran at him didn't get him because I had him secured and he freaked out so much he couldn't stand up for awhile ! he was rolling around and doing all sorts of crazy stuff looked like he was having a fit! so I took him out to the nice grass area gave him a pat calmed him down and he has been great ever since. Attached are some photos of him enjoying some warm oats :)

Speaking of chickens today I introduced our recently adopted dog to chickens he looked like he was going to eat them till the savage one went running at him haha
    h[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jord4231

Feb 23, 2014
    Ohh and a friend for him is on the way :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by