Help! chickens wont go into the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brabanter43, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Brabanter43

Brabanter43 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    My chickens are between two years and 16 weeks and everything's been going fine, every night they would go into their coop at dusk until 2 weeks ago i installed an automatic door on the coop and since then they refuse to go in. I've been putting them in by hand each night hoping that they'd get the idea but still nothing, any ideas?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    does it have a light on it or smaller then their old door? i guess i would try using it as a manual door until they get used to that and then turn it on again or maybe even a solar light by the door

3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG]

4. Brabanter43

Brabanter43 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    They used to just use the door that i use but now its just a hatch with a sliding door and i have a light inside the coop on a timer and doesn't go off until about 2-3 hours after dusk. Thanks for the welcome btw

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    maybe try only feed in coop just at the door or special treat just inside. leave one or two chickens in with treat and let the others know thats the only way they can reach it is by that door

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by