!HELP! CHICKS ACTING STRANGELY - POSSIBLE HEAT STROKE?

Gge23

Chirping
Apr 4, 2016
West Yorkshire
Ok so I've noticed some pretty strange behaviour in my 3 week old chicks... 3 of them have started putting their heads to one side and running round in circles...almost to the point of falling over. One of them actually did. They look as if they can't keep their heads up. Is it just because it's been so hot? Or is there something wrong with them? I have stated putting vitamins in their water again just in case they're lacking something...but other than that I can only think it's some kind of heat stroke hmm.png bit worried about them as you can imagine! Any suggestions?

I have already had to some advice to get some electrolytes as well for them. Just wondered if anyone else had any other suggestions too, so maybe I can prevent it in the future.

It could be a vitamins deficiency.
Provide B vitamins, Vitamin E and Selenium.

If you think it's heat related, make sure only one spot in the brooder is "warm" and the rest is "cool", depending on the temps where you live and how you are brooding they may not need a lot of heat. If they are outdoors and the daytime temps are in the upper 80-90s then daytime heat may not be necessary.

Provide fresh cold water, you can add a few cold/frozen treats like watermelon, cucumber, just make sure they have chick grit.

Let us know how they're doing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1098818/very-odd-situation-with-1-week-old-chick#post_16893915

It could be a vitamins deficiency.
Provide B vitamins, Vitamin E and Selenium.

If you think it's heat related, make sure only one spot in the brooder is "warm" and the rest is "cool", depending on the temps where you live and how you are brooding they may not need a lot of heat. If they are outdoors and the daytime temps are in the upper 80-90s then daytime heat may not be necessary.

Provide fresh cold water, you can add a few cold/frozen treats like watermelon, cucumber, just make sure they have chick grit.

Let us know how they're doing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1098818/very-odd-situation-with-1-week-old-chick#post_16893915

Hi thanks for replying! :)
Yeh I have turned the heat plate off during the day as the room they are in is just so warm, even with all the doors and windows open! I have been changing the water as often as I can to make sure it stays cool, and adding some vitamins and electrolytes for them. They seem to be perking up now at least, there is definitely less spinning going on! They also have their usual chick crumb as well. I didn't realise they could have fruit at such a young age, I will certainly try giving them some to see if it helps cool them down a bit quicker.
Thank you for your help! :)

Back
Top Bottom