1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help! chicks all dying!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrbunker, May 23, 2008.

1. mrbunker

mrbunker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Southwest WA
    well we cancelled our order for guinea chicks from cackle or so we thought. today i got home from work and there were chicks on my door step. i moved them under the heat lamp and dipped their beaks in sugar water. everyone is dying. any ideas?

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    okay, so you need to call cackle ASAP to let them know that they screwed up, and make sure they didn't bill your account. How long were they on your door step??? Was it really hot out??? I've heard of people using that poly-vi-sil stuff (baby vitamins) to help out weak chicks, but I don't know if it'll help as I've never used it before. Good luck!

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I am so sorry to hear this. What happened to you is my immediate concern. I thought I canceled a Cackle order 3 weeks ago & got a mail confirmation today that they plan to ship chicks (in June) when I am in Hawaii. And, of course, they don't answer the phone or respond to e-mail. Someone is asleep at the wheel at Cackle.

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    By the way, [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Welcome to BYC.

You are the second person that has written that they canceled an order and Cackle seemed to have no idea even though they emailed and faxed.

Sorry about the guineas.

If they got too hot or too cold they will show stress and often it is what you are seeing. Get them in a warm quiet place, offer a poultry vitamin in the water. If you don't have it add some honey for a pick me up.

6. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    MrBunker,
    (See my post: Cackle debacle.)
    I am upset at your news. It's late, but I called Cackle & got through to a voicemail. Also, I got the msg. that they are open tomorrow a.m. Maybe you can get through to them? This is really a bad thing they are doing. They are not shipping out sweaters or lawn furniture. I actually contacted my credit card company today. (Because my card was charged on the 16th, after I canceled via fax & e-mail on the 7th!) All they can do is initiate a dispute. That stinks so bad, because it won't keep them from shipping out birds that will die on my stoop.

7. mrbunker

mrbunker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Southwest WA
    UPDATE

added some quik chik that i had from previous chicks. three (of the original 10) have died. one was dead when i opened the box, so i'm down to 6. i keep dipping their beaks and only two can actually hold up their heads. we are in the pacific nw so they were COLD. wishing me luck and thanks for the help so far!!!

cackle is impossible to reach! argh!!!

8. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I thought that the post office would call when chicks arrived there?? I know that when mcmurray chicks and meyer hatchery chicks arrived the post office always calls us?

9. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Ideal sent us a confirmed canceled order of 15 Royal Palm turkeys and 6 peanuts. Luckly I was home when the Post Office called. They didn't charge us for them. Crackle should refund you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by