Help Chicks are stuck and Mother hen is picking at them

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ilovechickens, Jul 4, 2008.

1. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    How do I help my chicks out, they are ameracauna, and the shells are really hard, I fell that I might lose them if I don't help

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    What day are they on? If they are on day 21 or more, then you should probably candle them first and see if there is any movement. You might be able to see if they have pipped into the aircell. If they have, you can put a very small hole in the top above the aircell so they have plenty of air to breathe. You have to be careful that they aren't ready and may not have absorbed the yolk yet. It's really a catch 22. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If these are under a broody I'd leave her alone.

4. ilovechickens

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    One chick is out, but alive and the hen was cleaning it off, but when I just checked the chick was laying next to her breathing, but not under her.

5. ilovechickens

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    Oh, they are on day 21, and they are all moving two in the egg, and the one that is out. they are all making chirps. I hope that the one that was helped out will live. I feel so bad, but didn't know what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by