1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Chicks beating on one cockerel!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginznchix, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ginznchix

ginznchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    South Jersey
    I just moved 5 4 week old chicks into their coop, with a light in the corner for warmth, where it stays mid 80's. The coop is 4x6, bigger than the box they were in, with ladders to roost on and lots of room. All of a sudden they are viciously attacking the only obvious roo in the group, although there may be more roos. They're not just pecking, they're attacking to kill it seems! He had the most obvious pink comb, which is now bleeding, and he's so scared he won't come down from up on the highest roost, where it's going to be too cold! He isn't allowed under the light! He's a very healthy and active guy, not weak or sick so I don't get it.

At the moment he's in my house but I know he has to go back - what do I do? These chicks are EE/bantam mixes, all different, starting to show some size difference. He was the biggest but 2 are now a bit bigger. HELP!

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Wow, poor guy.

Can you put him back and watch to see who starts the mob? Then I would take the leader out for a day or two - leaving the picked on chick with the others. Maybe a few days in time out for the bully will adjust its attitude. [​IMG]

3. ginznchix

ginznchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    South Jersey
    That's exactly what I did today. I found the head bully and removed her and the others backed off quite a bit. She's now in a small cage right in the coop with them where she can't get at him. He's not quite as scared now and he's not bleeding anymore, so they're not picking at him as much. I'll just keep a careful eye, keep them together but separate, and see how it goes in the next couple of days. But he's my favorite so they'd better CUT THE CRAP!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by