help!!! chicks drpooing like flies!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bobzant, Aug 1, 2011.

1. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    i ordered chicks from ideal and they are dropping like flies!!!! they have symptoms of gapeworm and idk how to treat it or if i even can. theyre only a few days old and ive lost two, holding the next one to go....HELP me please? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Could they be too hot? I don't think chicks can have gapeworm! Are they eating and drinking? I had a chick that I thought for sure was drinking and she started looking really poorly...so, I showed her the water and she drank like she had never seen water!! Please check the temp and see if it is too high.

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Too young for worms- try giving the chicks some sugar water with a dropper, I hope that helps. I'm sure others will have some good advice!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Need a lot more info. What are the living conditions? I'd guess they could be too warm, depending on the temp where you live. Have you dipped their beaks in water so they know where it is? What "symptoms" do they have?

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I think maybe they could be too hot or too cold....That can kill a chick quickly. Their temps should be around 95 or so right now. If they were shipped, sometimes you do lose alot, especially with this terribly hot weather, like we've been having in Ohio.

I'd put some sugar water, or a packet of "Chick Saver" in their drinking water. (Or vitamins/electrolites if you have them.)

Good luck!

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What do you mean by gapeworm symptoms?
    Could very well be heat or cocci.
    In this weather they don't really need a brooder lamp unless they're in air conditioning.
    I tend to keep them on the cool side unless they crowd together during the day indicating they're chilled.
    Have you checked them for pasty butt?
    Always dip each chicks beaks into slightly sweetened water when they first arrive to make sure they all know where and what water is.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  7. bobzant

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    i read to give them pedialyte when they first came home. so i did and when i switched to water this started happening. i wish there was something i could do for the one im holding. but i think its too late. its gasping and its chest rattles. the temp in the brooder is 90. i thought that was right?

8. bobzant

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    theyre in a little plastic kiddy pool in my back room. its usually low 90s in there cuz we dont have AC. i had 13, the first one just dropped the morning after i got them, the second one looked bad for a day, and then the next she was fine, and then today went down hill fast and died on me. the one i have right now will not stand up on its own, is gasping for air, and i can hear a rattle in its chest when it breathes. mind you this chick was perfectly fine before i left for work and about 4.5 hrs later this happens to it. it did kinda stand up to poop a minute ago, and its poop is creamy and off-whitish, yellow. ive been cleanin butts and dipping beaks in water, but idk what to do now, im at a loss.

9. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I purchased some polish from Ideal and they were sick on delivery. I dosed everyone with duramycin for 10 days. I saved 2 of the 3. No one else got sick so I have no idea what it was but the symptoms sound just like yours. I hope someone on here can give you some great advice and you can save the others. I got the duramycin from my local feed store.

I should add that my chicks were bought from a feed store but were originally from Ideal. I had the feed store call Ideal and they said that they were having no such problems. Maybe you could give them a call and describe the symptoms to them and find out what they have to say about it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  10. bobzant

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    what is duramycin and where can i get it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by