1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! CHICKS DYING AFTER SHIPPING :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eliz, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    I just went to the post office to pick up my chicks. 3 were already dead. 1 Died before I got home. 2 more are looking worst by the seconds. I have been giving them sugar water with an eye dropper. What else can I do to keep the others alive.

2. Eliz

May 16, 2008
    Guess everyones at work.

Come on,, who goes to work anymore. [​IMG]

3. lovemyflock

lovemyflock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm sorry about your chicks. :aww

Did you dip all their beaks in the water? Are they eating or drinking at all on their own? How many did you order?

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    The only thing you can do is keep them warm and offer them the sugar water, try some crumbled food or plain yogurt. Please contact the hatchery you bought them from right away and explain the situation, generally they will offer a refund or another shipment. They may also have advise for you on how to care for the chicks.

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm so sorry. Shipping is hard on chicks. Dip their beaks in water so they know where it is. Also call the hatchery, they should replace or refund you for the dead chicks.

6. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    hey, do you have their heat lamp on them? be sure its not too hot or too cold, put a thermometer in with them.

also add electrolytes to their water (like pedialyte). then dip their beaks in the water to show them where it is. also be sure they can find their chick feed.

and what sort of bedding do you have them on? be sure its not cedar shavings.

that's about all i can think of.

7. Eliz

May 16, 2008
    I have am giving them the vitamins and electrolytes mix through an eye dropper.

Only two will eat or go to the water on there own.

Five are dead now and 3 wont even get up.

The last 4 are standing but like I said only 2 eating or drinking.

I have them in the house under the heat lamp at 90.

I have emailed the guy that I got them from.

8. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    That totally sucks. I'd be so mad. Good luck with your remaining little guys.

9. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Electrolytes is the one thing I was gonna suggest. If you can't get the good stuff from the feed store then, something like gatorade or Pedialyte, if you can find it use the unflavored if not the other will have to do. Also you may want to try and give them some egg yolk with the dropper. It has a lote of protien in it. Make sure they are warm. Inside the brooder should have a warm side and cool side. If they are day's old then it needs to be 95 degrees on the warmer side. That is about all you can do for now. Shipping is so hard on little chicks and if they were more than 2 day's old then it is even harder because they were without food and water.

Goodluck, I hope the other's make it for you.....[​IMG]

10. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    hmmm....did these come from a hatchery? How many days where they in the post?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by