Help! Chicks Dying!

RickeyJay

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2018
Purchased twenty five chicks from a hatchery. All were healthy and grew well. Purchased another thirty chicks. One died in transport. Next day I found two chicks dead. My chicks have been dying one or two a day for the last nine days. Same exact environment, same food...same everything, except.... There was one Cochin chick from the first batch that I left in with the second. Two weeks older than the second batch. The first batch went into a larger brooder and are doing fine. The older chick in with the second batch was found dead yesterday. What is causing my chicks to die? I have raised a lot of chicks and have never had this problem. I am stumped! Need help figuring out how to save my remaining second batch and hope that it is not contiguous.

With just this information to go on I would start treating for cocvidiosis immediately. My approach is that it is better to treat for this and have it not be the cause than to have it been the cause and continue losing birds because of just how quickly it can take them. Unlike over use or misuse of antibiotics or other treatments there is no potential harm to treating even if that is not what is happening with your birds.

With just this information to go on I would start treating for cocvidiosis immediately. My approach is that it is better to treat for this and have it not be the cause than to have it been the cause and continue losing birds because of just how quickly it can take them. Unlike over use or misuse of antibiotics or other treatments there is no potential harm to treating even if that is not what is happening with your birds.
They have been on medicated chick food from day one wouldn't that help with the coccidia?

I bought 15 chicks from Meyers Hatchery - all but three died. They were on SavAChick electrolytes/probiotics and medicated feed. After the first four died Meyer would not cover the reset. They sent me chicks with cocidiosis. I managed to save the remaining three with Corid that I started on Day 4! Vet said given the rapid die off even after starting Corid indicates massive oocysts that were likely present in the incubator - hatcheries can easily lose control with dirty eggs heavily infected with oocysts and poor humidity control in the incubator. Meyers reimbursed $78 but I lost $213 total. Do not buy from Meyers Hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom