Help--Chicks flying everywhere

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PhlyinPheBee, Apr 8, 2009.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    At was age can I clip the wings on my lil chicks?? They are in a outside brooder with a yard of their own. However they are fly up and over the little divider fence. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How old are the chicks?

3. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    4 wk, 4.5 wk and 6.5 wks. Some are frizzles and 1 silkie. They do not do it and the bantams cannot do it. The EE's are the worst!!!!!!

4. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    I noticed out of all the chicks I have raised the EE's were the flighty ones. Like the colored eggs but lost more to stupid stuff like flying over the fence.. I had to clip a wing. Just one messes with there balance.[​IMG]

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Higher fence? Brooder cover? Flapping and flying help develop strength.

Delawares start that nonsense at about a week old. I cover all my brooders.

6. TGarcia

TGarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Texas
    I have EE and we are putting them into the outside coop in a few days now that it is warmer. And I was curious as to just how HIGH they will be able to get when flying. My husband is going to cover the top of their enclosure with wire as well. But what if we let them out into the yard while we are out there. We have 4 ft. chain link fencing enclosing part of our yard, and 8 ft wooden fence on the rest of it. My husband doesn't seem to think they will get that high. But me being the one that always worries tends to think he is wrong and my babies might get into the neighbors yard where there is a German Shepard.

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Five feet will keep in some, even most, chickens. And then there are those that think 8 ft is just a challenge. I ended up hanging a 2ft row of bird net above my five foot fence. After that they haven't gone over.

It depends on the breed and the individuals. Some really use those wings and some don't. I'm thinking of hanging weights off the delawares.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by