HELP- CHICKS IN MY BEDROOM!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newfrom NJ, Apr 1, 2012.

1. newfrom NJ

newfrom NJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    So after the murder of my one and only pet chicken 'Manila ' ( by a hawk ) I decided to fill the void with 2 silkies ( one black one white ) and one Millie Fleur D'Uccle. They are now 6 weeks old. I live in NJ and the weather here has warmed up a little bit but certainly not to the point where the babies can be outside ( still dips into the 30's and 40's many nights of the week ) I keep them in a guinea pig cage ( the plastic bottomed wire topped kind ) its 44 inches long by 20 inches wide. I clean the cage almost daily but it still smells terrible after only a day. I use paper towels with a good layer of hay on top as bedding. Their stools are normal and they are healthy otherwise. WHAT CAN I DO!? i think it'll be another 3 weeks at least before they can be permanently outside.

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Get some pine pellets for the bedding. You can get large/cheaper bags at feed store/Tractor Supply - sold as horse stall bedding, or at PetSmart/Petco in the kitty litter section. It helps keep the odor down much better.

1 person likes this.
  3. newfrom NJ

newfrom NJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    thanks for the reply-
    do they ingest the pellets? Im assuming it isnt harmful because ive come across people talking about it here.

4. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    My chicks have pecked at them and they are fine. The pine pellets turn into a soft, fluffy sort of sawdust when they get wet.

5. Stewzoo

Stewzoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    I use pine shavings used in horse stalls. The shavings are larger than the ones used for hamsters and other indoor rodents. I have never had any issues with this. I get this at my local farm store. I have 3 four week old chicks inside as well right now and don't have an odor problem. I change the bedding weekly.

6. ericnash

ericnash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    We do the same thing. It really keeps the odor down and at the age of your chicks there is very little risk of them swallowing the flakes. Do NOT use cedar chips. This is poison to chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by