HELP!!!!!! Chicks insides are coming out,it died

dragonchick

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
The little chick that hatched yesterday seems to be herniating. There is a large red bubble filled with what looks like innards coming out its back end where the cloaca should be. It was fine last night and at 5 this morning but now its looks very sick. Can anything be done or is my first and only chick dying?

Last edited:

Cynthia12

Always Grateful
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Utah
Quote:I so sorry, but I'm thinking not. I've had the same problem before. You may want to separate it from the other chicks..let it be for a while...

Oh wait, did you say this is your only chick? I'm so sorry, didn't notice that until I came back. Did you have other eggs that just didn't hatch?

Last edited:

dragonchick

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
Here is a not so good picture of the little chick. There are no other chicks as this was the only one to hatch. I moved it out of the hatcher to what now will be the brooder since the humidity will be much less. The little chick is laying in a damp paper towel since it won't be still.

Cynthia12

Always Grateful
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Utah
We must have posted at the same time.
Well, it wasn't what I thought it was..I really haven't had one like that. I guess all you can do is wait and see..not sure what that is??

loopy12

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
I'm so sorry, that doesn't look good.
When I read your post I was thinking l;ittle omphalitis that could be push back in but looks like a prolapse now if your chick looked fine yesterday and now looks like that then I can't see a positive outcome. I'm so sorry.
Wait for someone else to confirm, but I think I'd cull because that doesn't look like the chick can either recover or not be in discomfort. So sorry.

dragonchick

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
The chick popped the bubble and I am not sure what it is either. Its not innards and its not blood. Maybe the yolk sac wasn't absorbed all the way? The fluid that came out looked similar to a very thin BBQ sauce. It wasn't red or brown but a brownish orange. The little chick is still active.

loopy12

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Hmmm, now I don't know then. So, yesterday it looked normal right?
And its from the cloaca not the umbilicus?

dragonchick

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
Not exactly sure where its from as I have never had a chick hatch before. Let me see if I can describe it in better detail.

When the little chick was crawling around there was a small puckered spot toward the back where the tail feathers would form. This is where the bubble came out. I didn't see anything on the abdomen but I will look. I just looked and the spot does look to be ahead of the tail so it could be the abdomen. Its still trying to move around and cheeping loudly. I am going to spray it with iodine and hope for the best. Since it no longer has what I am guessing is a yolk sack I am going to give it a drop of water to keep it from dehydrating.

I looked up this condition and it says its from a dirty incubator. The incubators were cleaned with bleach before use so I don't know why it would be dirty. It also says it can be caused by high humidity. The humidity had been a little high when the storms came through but went back down afterward.

dragonchick

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
I don't expect the little chick to make it but I did what I could to save him since the little guy/gal is my first ever hatchling. I cleaned the area really well and snipped off the sac that was hanging out since there was no way I could push it back in. It wasn't doing the chick any good since it had popped so all I did was remove the excess weight. I put iodine on the opening and closed it up with a DuoDerm skin patch. The patch will breathe and let air circulate but keep out germs.

While I was cleaning and working on the little chick I noticed the hole is in the abdomen, and the outcome is pretty bleak but I have to do what I can.

None of the other eggs have hatched but I will not let this setback stop me from hatching others.

Top Bottom