Help! Chicks keep dying!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by butterflygrooves, Feb 7, 2014.

1. butterflygrooves

butterflygrooves Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    We had two EE babies (days old) that I thought had splay leg and curly toes, they were sitting on their hocks, "swimming" to get around, and not really interested in eating or drinking. I hobbled them, gave them booties and helped them stand to drink/eat (one would drink occasionally), both died.

We also had an Ameraucana and another EE (days old, same hatch as the babies above) that walked fine but ended up dying. They both started off seemingly fine, the Ameraucana started sleeping a lot the day after hatch, had labored breathing and her neck craned to the right, she died at 2 days old. She had fluid coming out of her beak when she was removed from the brooder.

The EE was fine 7 hours ago, he had been eating and drinking, walking, playing, etc, no sign that he was sick. I woke up this morning and he was dead. He also had fluid coming his beak when I picked him up.

What is going on with my babies? How can I treat them so more don't die?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You may have/had a coccidiosis overload/outbreak,leading cause of deaths in chicks. Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract and is spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings. Some symptoms are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 11 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking,weight loss,general look of unwell. If symptoms match,purchase Corid(amprolium)dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chicks for 5-7 days,make sure medicated water is the only water they have to drink. Do not give vitamins during treatment as they interfere with the ability of the amprolium to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Edit to add: If your chicks are not drinking that much,you can also add warm medicated water to feed(so it resembles oatmeal)this way you will have the added benefit of knowing they are in fact getting the coccidiostat. Once they start to drink water,discontinue in feed and keep in water for the 5-7 days.

If you are going to add it to feed,make sure it is still in their drinking water.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. butterflygrooves

butterflygrooves Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA

I'm having trouble finding Corid, if I can find plain Amprolium will the measurements be the same?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Corid will probably be in the cattle section and it will say for cattle,it is safe for chickens and the best for cocci overloads. Corid is just the brand name,so yes measurements would be the same as long as you have purchased 9.6% liquid or 20% powder.

If you find it in a different percentage(for example 3.84%)post what you have purchased and we will give you dosage information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by