HELP CHICKS LEG TURNING GREEN!!!

ButtonquailGirl14

Crossing the Road
Jul 13, 2017
Northport WA
I do not have time for a long explantion, but long story short one of my chicks hurt her leg!!! it was looking fine yesterday and she was doing good but suddenly it is turning green at the Hock like when i broke my finger!!! PLEASE HELP! i have soaked it in Epsom salt and gave her Nutri- Drench and some T.L.C, and she is drinking and eating but i am sure something is broken. she is around 3-4 weeks old! her Name is Oakley
IMG_2248.JPG IMG_2247.JPG IMG_2229.jpg
I agree with the above post!
Today, I almost shut my silkie chicks head in the coop door! Boy, did I feel HORRIBLE!

Can you post some photos of the feet?
Normally you can tell if a toe is broken, it will look crooked.

Here's splinting instructions https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

We've all made mistakes with our chickies and felt bad afterwords, so don't feel too bad!

As others have said, maybe splint it and just give them some love and rest. Chickens are very tough animals (from my experience). Make sure they're eating and drinking enough too.

yeah you can ask someone there. Cause I have no clue. I hadn't gotten CHICKS yet so...lol

Con

no meds!
Supportive splinting or just confine to a smaller area for rest.

Green is usually bruising. Is she walking on the leg, putting weight on it? If you compare it to the other leg can you feel a broken bone? It may just be bruised and sore and may resolve on it's own with time.
she is laying down or hopping around and not wanting weight on it, have have felt her down and i do not feel anything out of the ordinary. i SURE hope it is a bruise!
It is most likely bruising. That's the color their bruises can get.
It could be broken.
Can you take her to a vet?
i hope it is a bruise no vets in our area will take chickens.:hmm

Last edited:
Can you maybe give some crushed up aspirin in the food or water for the pain and inflammation and just keep her from walking too much for a couple days? I know you can give aspirin to dogs, but not sure about chickens, maybe research that?
i know you can, but i do not have any, i feel like it might be better to let her walk on it, i made her a little area with food and water, but she just wanted to be with he other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom