HELP-- Chicks Pooping Blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Welshies, May 5, 2017.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Last night I handled my 2 week old chicks fine, with no problems. I just got them 2 days ago and have given them a heat lamp, water, and medicated chick starter. However, this morning I went out to the brooder and there was bloody poop. I saw one chick poop blood, but this chick didn't seem particularly sick and looked healthy. All of them seem healthy, bright eyes, running away from me as per normal, however there was more than a few bloody feces in the pine shavings. What's happening?
    Just in case they have Cocci, I got my parents to run into town today and grab either Corid or SulMent, however the chicks don't seem sick and I don't want to unneccesariy treat them. The guy I bought them from said he's given them their vitamins and shots? What does that mean? He knows they are on medicated feed too.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. LexsPeeps

LexsPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    Sounds like it could be Cocci

3. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    That's what I'm worried about, but they don't seem very lethargic. And not just one is pooping blood, a few chicks are, I have 20.

4. LexsPeeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    If it was just 1 chick and 1 time you saw the poop, I would think it was intestional shedding, but with multiple chicks experiencing the problem sounds like infection

5. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Okay, thanks. Sounds like I have about 24 hours before they start to die, as I heard it spreads really fast? How much Corid do I put in their water or is there a home treatment for it in case I can't find Corid or SulMent? I'm pretty worried.

6. LexsPeeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    Corrid is very easy to find at Rural King or TSC, I've even heard some Walmarts carry it. Here is a great link for dosage, I hope it helps!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing
    I don't recommend a home remedy for treating as this is a very deadly and quick acting illness, organic apple cider vinegar in older pullets/hens is a great preventative, using it in young chicks water can be harmful.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  7. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    We don't have Rural King or TSC, because we are remote Canada.

8. LexsPeeps

Apr 2, 2017
    Kentucky
    You'll need to contact stores that may carry farm medicines and check your area or a surrounding area

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of the poop?
    Do you have the Corid on hand?

If you are seeing blood in poop from multiple chicks, personally, I would go ahead and treat with Corid. Corid is a Coccidiostat (not an antibiotic), it is considered mild and safe to use if you give the correct dosage. It won't hurt to treat them, even if what you are seeing turns out to be intestinal shedding.

Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon of water or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
    After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Keep us posted.

10. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I got some SulMet today, however, I don't want to treat them if they aren't sick. I don't have pictures, but the chicks are running around this afternoon and all the "bloody stool" I see looks OLD, even though a TON of it looked fresh this morning. They are eating normally. Do i go ahead and give a weak dose of SulMet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by