Help - Chicks seem afraid of the dark

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Andee8302, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Andee8302

Andee8302 In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Ellsworth, Maine
    Hi - I have 8 week old chicks and when I turn off the light in the basement, the sound of their chirping seems like that are panic stricken. I feel so bad like they are little kids afraid of the dark. I am considering on getting them a night light. Any suggestions?

2. cary 1973

cary 1973 Songster

start up a routine with them when my dog broke my red light the girls where about 4 weeks old so i moved them to my bathroom with a heater on at night (during the day the temps where fine they where hanging out side anyways and having white light on them made them fight) I had a small night light in my bathroom but they also knew yogart would come when they where done eating it I would take it out of nursery and pick each one up say good night and then turn off the light and go to bed after the 3rd night they knew what was coming and seemed to get used to it.

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    I'm a big softie...I even put a nightlight in my coop [​IMG]

4. Andee8302

Andee8302 In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Ellsworth, Maine
    My goodness they are like little kids. I will have to try that. My boyfriend makes fun of me and tells me it can't be possible. But I knew in my heart and by the sound, the were frightened. Thanks !!!

5. Andee8302

Andee8302 In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Ellsworth, Maine
    I am going to give up my night light tonight and let them have it. [​IMG] Thanks !!!

6. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    One thing I did do was purchase a red christmas bulb..actually, I stole the one from my Christmas candle :) and used it instead of white.

7. d3rabbitry

d3rabbitry In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Winchester NH
    they will adjust to it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: