Help! Chicks trying to hatch!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HelenKirby, Oct 24, 2010.

1. HelenKirby

HelenKirby New Egg

Oct 3, 2010
    I spotted the first hole about two hours ago and could hear them cheeping when the broody got off but now she's sat back on them and I haven't heard anything or seen any movement since. They're 21 days old today. Will she just get off when they're ready to come out? Might it be that they don't come out today now? How are they going to come through with her hefty weight sat on them.

Sorry but I'm a very inexperienced chicken owner.

Thanks for your advice!!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Might I suggest you chop up some fruit, enjoy it over vanilla ice cream, prop up your feet, and chill. Relax! I know. Easier said than done.

Hens have been doing this for thousands of years. I'm not going to say that all of them do a perfect job, but I will say that almost all of them do a real good job. I figure mine usually do a better job than I do.

It could easily take a couple of days for the eggs to hatch. The chicks can go three days without eating or drinking, so Mama is not under a lot of pressure to come off the nest too soon. She can wait until she thinks all the eggs that are going to hatch will hatch. She will come off the nest when she is ready. If the hatch has just started, I'd guess that will be tomorrow, but I really don't know when she will bring them off. It could be late today or maybe even Tuesday.

She does not set down real hard. She will raise up enought to give them the room they need to hatch and move around. I've had the chicks climb up between her wing and body to snuggle really close. You might see some climbing on top of Mama or walking around the nest. Or they may stay hidden under her the whole time. It is an exciting time, especially your first but believe me later ones are too, but the best thing to do is to leave her alone and let her do what her instincts tell her to do.

3. HelenKirby

HelenKirby New Egg

Oct 3, 2010
    Thank you, that's very reassuring. I was beginning to worry. I've read some messages on this forum saying that once the chick starts to break through the egg it's only normally 4 hours before they're fully out. But I will definitely go and put my feet up, thank you. Haven't got any ice-cream though!!!

Just gone and had another peek and one is out!!! Mothers sat back down on the rest and the baby is in the middle. It is very exciting isn't it!!! Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by