1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help! chicky hatched fine i checked later and his

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by callyann6390, Mar 20, 2012.

1. callyann6390

callyann6390 New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    Yolk sack is out of his body can it be removed? I have had less severe cases and just tucked them back in and covered it with a bandaid but this is really bad! Help suggestions please!

2. callyann6390

callyann6390 New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    I wrapped him in tp so he wont move and put him in an isolated brooder he is resting peacefully right now but I have to do something immediately!

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You can make him a diaper out of plastic wrap.... To keep him from stepping on it and tearing it until it absorbs. Perhaps put some bedadine on it to discourage infection.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It has to be kept moist or the tissues will start to die. You're sure it's yolk and not intestine? If it's a large area, the baby most likely not make it.

5. callyann6390

callyann6390 New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    I read something that said you can cut it so I did and I made him a diaper out of bandaids, he is doing really well today its been 16+ hours since I did this. He is alert and eating I am going to the store now to get vitamins and I talked to my vet friend about antibiotics. Thank you guys for your help, everything is in gods hands now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by