Help, chics chirping, 3 pips, can't see any water in the resoviors

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wannabchick, Dec 21, 2010.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    I have brisnea mini advance, chirps this morning- now 3 pips and still faint chirps, but the hygrometer my kids put in I can't see it, they put it under the lid

I can't even see any water in the reservoirs, I filled the resoviors to the top on Sunday morning when I went into lockdown

Can't read hygrometer and can't see water, should I open the lid real quick and add water, or slide warm wet paper towel in their, sponge ???

Anyone own this brisnea mini advance and If so did you add water to it during the last day or so...?, or never needed too?..

So nervous this is going to not work

Advice sought

Sitting on my hands but not sue if I should add more water

Thank u

2. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    I would just leave them.... if they are pipping and you can still hear peeps you're probably good to go. I wouldn't open it at all. Resist the temptation and take a deep breath. Good luck and you should have fluffy butts soon. [​IMG]

3. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    It should be safe to open it quickly and add hot water (if you add hot, it'll steam and very quickly bring the humidity back up). I would not give you the same advice for a styrofoam incubator, but the tiny ones allow it. I am not sure what Brinsea recommends for the mini but for the Eco you can open it every six hours if needed, even during hatching.

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I don't own a mini advance, but do have the Brinsea 20 Eco. I add water through the vent hole using the wash bottle with drink straw. It works very well for me.

5. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    I opened real quick and added water, the resoviors were empty.......!!!!!

I hope to goodness I didn't mess anything up, but how then can they all hatch without any water in the reservoirs, thank goodness I checked.

Has this happened to others with the mini advance?..

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:Sounds like a good idea, but how can you tell when to stop adding without overflowing? I ask this assuming the Eco 20 is full with 24 eggs, if not, you can probably see the water troughs. No?

7. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:No vent hole in my mini advance:he

8. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    They'll be fine. I misunderstood you. I thought you meant you couldn't tell if there was water or not.... didn't know you meant there was zero. Good luck. [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I add water every 24 hours even in lockdown with my Brinsea Mini Advance UNTIL I see pips. Once they pip you aren't supposed to open it at all (I guess you know that already though).

If it has been since Sunday since you added water, I would definitely add some nice 100 degree water VERY quickly so they don't dry out and die in the shell. But I have never had this happen to me, so I am just saying what I would do if it were me with no experience!!! [​IMG]

I am thinking you probably have no water in there at all.

I hope your babies are ok!!! I never measure humidity in mine. I just make sure both reservoirs are full during lockdown. I do dry incubation for the first week and a half, then fill one reservoir until lockdown.

10. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:I thought their may have been some water too and I just couldn't see it because it was so low, but I just sat their thinking, from my reading, without humidity how will they break through, so opened it up like bionic woman on crack, and added water, shut lid and prayed

Thank u

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by