Help? Chinese Quail sexes?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kitei, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Kitei

Kitei Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    I bought a 'trio' of silver laced (dark faced) chinese quail mid october. I was told that 1 was a male, 8 weeks, and 2 were hens, 8 weeks and 5 weeks. The younger bird is actually just a silver, and now I'm a bit concerned about what sexes the two 'hens' are.

They're about 14 weeks and 11 weeks old now, and I've not had a single egg from either, though I don't know if this is normal because my other birds were already laying when I got them, and I don't actually know their exact age. There have also been several fights between them - the confirmed male attacked both of the other birds and I ended up separating him - I was told this was likely due to the other two not yet being sexually mature whereas he is, and was waiting for eggs before I put him back. So he's still not in with them.

I've also noticed that recently, there's been a fair bit of feather loss and blood on their heads - not too much, it's not like they've been scalped, but I can't tell if it's the pair of them picking on each other or whether it's more likely that they're catching themselves on something. They're very, very flighty birds (had a breakthrough tonight - they can eat whilst I'm sat next to the cage xD), so it's possible.

Included some pictures of them below.
    The first two didn't get the colours right - basically, the yellow tinges on the photos are actually faintly red feathers on the dark faced one, but they aren't vivid, and there's not many.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dark faced above

[​IMG]

Silver (I assume).

[​IMG]
    Dark faced at the back, silver at the front. It has a white bib (no grey or black outlines or markings, though), but I understand some females do have white bibs.

That's not their usual cage, by the way. It's the one I had to put them in when I separated them. They do have a much larger one on the way, though, just in case I need to keep them apart.

To anyone that can help, thank you!

2. Kitei

Kitei Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    Bump~

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    try this web site to vent sex them they should be laying by now but i am not familiar with the silver or black faced. I know that usually if the bird has red feathers on hos tummy it is a male but it is hard to tell. it could be that you have all males and that would be why the feather less heads, fighting. So try this and see if you can tell otherwise I am afraid i am not of much help with these colors.

http://www.stellar-gamebirds.com/Button-Quail-Information.html

Good Luck

4. Kitei

Kitei Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    Well, darn.
    I'm now pretty certain the dark faced is a boy, which means I'll have to sell one of them. Not sure about the silver - it's 3 weeks younger, so I don't know..

I'll have a go at vent sexing it, but I'm new to vent sexing with both ducks and quail, so I might get it totally wrong. XD

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by