HELP! Chipped bill!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amykins, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    My husband was watching her when she yelped, he thinks she got her bill STUCK in the usb port and she wrenched off the very tip of the nail. It's all filled with blood, although very little is coming out. I'm afraid she's gonna lose the tip of her bill and she looks like she's in a lot of pain, eyes shut tight and she's holding her head back...what do we do? I'm afraid she may be in shock. No vet is open!

2. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    239 574 2868 is a vet near me and they r open ... it's been a while since u posted this so it may be irreverent now but how's she doing

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Isn't that in Florida? I appreciate the super-sweet gesture but I'm clear on the opposite side in Seattle, Washington. :3

We did find an emergency avian vet in Tacoma, a full hour away, but it was worth it. Luckily she wasn't bleeding internally, she just chipped the nail badly, so they gave her some painkillers and an antibiotic shot so hopefully it won't get infected. She just has a small hematoma and if we're lucky it'll heal over and she won't lose the nail entirely.

Either way my husband's laptop is banned from the floor, and his circuit breaker has plugs in it so she can't get in any of them either.

When you think you've child-proofed the house, they find a way to prove you wrong... my poor baby ;;

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Lol yeah I have one that likes to escape his inside pen he's going outside with his friends soon... Good to here that she's ok I was really hoping it was not to bad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by