HELP!!! Chook can't stand up!!!

ToriWebster

Hatching
Apr 7, 2018
So I've just gotten a new chook, only a few months old. Earlier this morning the chicken was fine, but once I had gotten home from school it was laying down.

I noticed that their water was tipped over and initially thought it was dehydration. But it still can't stand up properly, when I do stand it up it falls, sideways, backward or forwards.

It seems happy and is eating and drinking but I'm not sure what to do can someone give me some advice?

Unfortunately at that age, there is a good chance that it has Marek's disease, which is caused by a virus. The best that you can do is offer supportive care, a good quality vitamin supplement like Poultry Cell and perhaps make a chicken sling to support it in an upright position if it is unable to do so itself. Some will recover almost as suddenly as they got sick. Others will take much longer and sadly some will deteriorate and die. Those that recover will be carriers for life and will be prone to further and often more severe secondary outbreaks but have a good quality of life for months or even years en between.
Here is an example of a chicken sling that is relatively easy to make. It needs to be adjusted so that the feet just touch the ground when the bird is supported with their legs through the holes. Feed and water pots can be clipped to the front of the box for them to reach.....
sling 2.png
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom