help choosing a goat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by snowbunnisub, Jan 5, 2014.

1. snowbunnisub

snowbunnisub New Egg

Jan 1, 2014
    Hello fellow farmers and farm enthusiasts! I am going to be getting 2 acres and starting my own farm in about a month! I'm super excited but scared because I have so many questions, hence why I am here asking my friends in the forum!!

1st - Which breed of goat has the sweetest temperament usually? I have a 6 year old farm loving daughter who is eager to be involved

2nd - Which breed is the most quiet? It is only 2 acres after all.

3rd - Which breed will eat weeds and overgrowth etc...?

4th- Male or Female?

I have heard of goats being almost like a dog type pet and that's kinda what I am looking for. I don't intend to breed it or get milk or meat. Just a lawn mower! Haha. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated! I have read books but I want first hand experience!

Thanks friends!

Samantha

2. abbymckinn

abbymckinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi! I have a nubian doe, milking nigirian dwarf, and a baby ND, she was a bottle baby. Personally, I am quite partial to te Nigrian Dwarfs!! They have amazing temperaments, Lady (our milk doe) was incredibly patient while we where learning to milk ;) another plus, is that they are a smaller breed. So they are easier to handle, and you can have more on the same amount of land, less feed consumption etc. I would say they are only loud when they really want attention, dinner time, something is wrong etc. as to male or female, if you want babies and milk, obviously get a doe, or just a pet, you can always find wethers for cheaper (a wether is a neutered male goat) but DO NOT get a buck! They can be aggresive and not to mention most smell really bad when in mating season. I would not get a buck until you had a lot of expiring e with goats. Any goat will eat brush, there really isn't a breed that is "better than others". Hope I helped!! I absolutely LOVE our goats! They act like dogs following and running around their pen with you! If you haven't already thought about it, I would definantly say get chickens too, they are so cute and quirky!

3. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh and also, you can't get just one goat!! You need at least two or three, they are herd animals and will be very sad and lonely if they have no goat buddies. They will also be super loud if they are lonely.

4. animalgirl12

animalgirl12 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    Lamanchas are known to be super sweet and as quite as you can get for a goat. Really you never know with bucks or does. Bucks can be known to stink and be a pain to keep in the fence but really it depends on the goat!! I had only two buck before and one would tear up the fence and be a mess and now I have one that would no sooner lick the fence than tear it up. I like the does best because they are the sweetest but they can be a bit moody during there heat!!
    I have had several different breeds of goats and I have found that my favorite are nigerains and saanens but it really depends.

You can PM me to get all the goat info!! I can tell you pretty much everything! I would love to hear any of your questions :)

5. animalgirl12

animalgirl12 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    I would also suggest you get two to keep them happy

6. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Kudos to doing your research beforehand! Be sure to look into diet, housing, health and wellness, etc.

8. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh, not sure is someone already said this or not, but your goats have to have a shelter!! They do NOT like ring wet, especially if its windy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by