Help choosing breeds for...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mymonkeybug, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mymonkeybug

mymonkeybug Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    ...our needs. We are new here to the forums and live in a small neighborhood and I know our county has some sort of regulations about us even having them in the first place but...

We want to get chicks that will grow into egg laying hens. We want no more than 5-8 probably in order to stay under the radar. We need non-flying of course and fairly quiet birds. We desire to treat these gals like pets so want friendly ones too. We really want if possible some Easter Eggers too.

Advice from the veterans here would be soooo very much appreciated.

Heather in MD

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    I am not a veteran by any means, but if you want a non-flying bird I would get one of the heavier breeds like the orpington. Pretty much all the brown egg layers are the heavy breeds. I have a buff orpington that will run over to me every day and will sit on my feet waiting to be picked up. If you want production I would go with a rhode island red, although some have temper problems. My RIR may be seeing the crockpot soon, they are standoffish and can cause some problems. Some will say they are the gentlest breed they have. It just depends on your stock. I love Easter Eggers they are really nice and friendly to me.

3. friendlyfowl97

friendlyfowl97 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    Yep heavier breeds are a way to go if you want less flighty birds. Australorps came to mind when you mentioned egg production and temperament. They are very friendly and are egg laying machines! EE's are a great breed if you want some color in your egg basket [​IMG]

4. sjwh1taker

sjwh1taker New Egg

Jul 4, 2010
    On April 11th & April 24th of 2012 I bought 5 white Brahma's and 11 brown Brahma's. At one point, the white Brahma's started laying, I incubated and hatched 4 chicks. Since then, they have totally stopped laying...and the buff (or brown) have never laid an egg...it has been 8 months! I feed them layer pellets and scratch, plus occasional kitchen scraps and oyster shell. Has anyone got an idea of what is going on with them? They are huge, and healthy, just don't want to lay!

5. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    my first venture into chickens began in June (tho my grandfather was a life long chicken farmer:)

I have 2 each, australorps, buff orpingtons, silver laced wyandottes, speckled sussex and 1 columbian
    wyandotte..My australorps began laying first, one of my buffs is laying and both the sussex's..

They are all large birds and aren't flyers.. If I were to get more (and I may),,I'd add some easter eggers, and probably more buff's & Sussex's who are VERY VERY friendly, and australorps also very friendly, my wyandottes can take ya or leave ya:)
    Diane

6. crissycriss

crissycriss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama

x2 my black australorp are the most friendlist breed i have. Also love the EE but they are not as friendly as the BA. The BA are my best layers as well.

7. crissycriss

crissycriss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama

I dont know where you live, I live in Al i have buff brahma girls that have stopped laying.Due to either the weather or them going threw a early molt. So it could be the weather maybe. They may wait to spring to lay.Is their a chance of them having a hid nest? Or could they be eating them?

8. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Buff Orps and Australorps. Both are very heavy so don't 'fly' much and both are great egg layers - large light brown - both very people friendly.

My EEs are great but LOVE to fly. The gorgeous blue/green pastel large eggs are great though! Mine are gorgeous - look just like Ameraucanas
    ( remind me of eagles in look and body carriage ) but mine are EE's as they have bright green legs and don't lay the Blue eggs. My EEs 'tolerate'
    me but are not friendly.

My BRs are egg laying machines but they are not people friendly - at least mine are not and they 'talk' to each other constantly and sing the egg song
    VERY LOUDLY to announce both their intention to soon lay and egg AND to announce that indeed they have finally actually laid the egg!

9. mymonkeybug

mymonkeybug Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    What breed of chicken are your Easter Eggers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by