Help Choosing Breeds

chicklover56

Songster
7 Years
Jun 1, 2015
Kansas
Hello Everyone!

So I went to TSC and they had only straight run, so I grabbed an order form. I am pretty new to chickens (got my first batch of 9 last summer) and I want to add some different breeds to the flock. There were a total of 32 breeds on the list, and I narrowed it down to 10.

The breeds are I like are...
1. Black Australorp
2. Minorca
3. Dark Brahma
4. Cochins (assorted colors)
5. Dominique
6. Blue Langshan
7. Cuckoo Maran
8. New Hampshire Red
9. Plymouth Rock (white)
10. Welsummer

I have to get at least 25 chicks, but I can only get 2 different breeds, so to help me narrow it down I would like everyone to vote by adding a 1 number (higher than the last) to the end of the title of the breed. You can vote for two breeds. Also, any cons to these different types of birds would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Or any pros to them. Pretty much general information would be greatly appreciated with the help of narrowing my choices down. Thank you again!

Last edited:
You could order from somewhere else and get a better variety. What are you wanting out of your birds? Eggs? Meat? Pets? Different breeds for different needs. Lighter breeds will lay more but be flighty, bigger birds lay less but are generally calmer and more friendly.

I think Australorps and barred rock are good all around birds.

1. Black Australorp 1
2. Minorca
3. Dark Brahma
4. Cochins (assorted colors)
5. Dominique
6. Blue Langshan
7. Cuckoo Maran
8. New Hampshire Red
9. Plymouth Rock (white)
10. Welsummer 1

You could order from somewhere else and get a better variety. What are you wanting out of your birds? Eggs? Meat? Pets? Different breeds for different needs. Lighter breeds will lay more but be flighty, bigger birds lay less but are generally calmer and more friendly.

I think Australorps and barred rock are good all around birds.
I'm wanting eggs, but I would also like calmer breeds.

Do you have suggestions for other places to order from?

What are your goals for your flock? Are you looking for just eggs? Dual purpose (meat and eggs)? More meat-producing types? Just pets? How much space do you have for all your chickens? Do you free range? Do you want something that will lay colored eggs? Have broody tendencies? How cold does Kansas get in the winter? Do you need a smaller combed breed that will have less chance of frostbite in the winter? There are a lot of things to consider, and ultimately, you are the only one who can make that decision. I am curious, though, as to why you can only get two different breeds. I ordered 24 chicks from Murray McMurray this year, and have several different breeds coming.

What are your goals for your flock? Are you looking for just eggs? Dual purpose (meat and eggs)? More meat-producing types? Just pets? How much space do you have for all your chickens? Do you free range? Do you want something that will lay colored eggs? Have broody tendencies? How cold does Kansas get in the winter? Do you need a smaller combed breed that will have less chance of frostbite in the winter? There are a lot of things to consider, and ultimately, you are the only one who can make that decision. I am curious, though, as to why you can only get two different breeds. I ordered 24 chicks from Murray McMurray this year, and have several different breeds coming.
Eggs. I have a run but I let them free-range. I already have two that lay colored eggs so no, and I have no rooster. I selected cold-hardy birds. I am not sure why, it just said on the order form "minimum amount 25 birds. only two different breeds or sexes."

No rooster, so you probably don't want anything that has broody tendencies. I have had light brahmas, and the ones I've had have been very mellow birds. I liked the welsummer I had - she laid nice dark brown eggs. They were pretty. She was fairly calm, too. I think those are the only two breeds I have had that you listed. Maybe an australorp, I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom