Help! City Ordinance doesn't allow chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by janeroyal, Feb 25, 2008.

1. janeroyal

janeroyal New Egg

Feb 25, 2008
    Hello all! I am new here. I just got off the phone with the zoning commissioner and according to our city ordinance, I can't have chickens - not even one!

I live on .22 acre lot and you must have a .33 acre lot to have any small farm animals. How have those of you gone about changing your city ordinances? I'm so distraught by this because I really hate confrontation and I really want some chickens. I'm definitely the honest type and can't go behind the back of the city (not to mention my children). Apparently, just a year or so ago they loosened up the ordinance.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Stephanie in Kaysville, UT

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Ask SeaChick, she can help you out.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Tell them they are part of your pet household....same as a dog or cat to you. See if that works.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Check out Mad City Chickens web site. The city of Madison Wi went through all the growing pains to allow chickens in the city limits. I'm sure you could get some good advice from them.

bigzio

5. janeroyal

janeroyal New Egg

Feb 25, 2008
    Already tried the dog/cat thing - any fowl are considered farm animals. I'll check the other resources listed. Thanks guys!

6. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

you may need to do what I may need to do -- find a friendly neighbor with a bigger lot (or less restrictive covenants) and "board" the chickens with her/him ...

I think I can hatch and brood the chickies here, in the daylight basement (good sound insulation !) but doubt if my snobby neighbors will be tolerant of chickens outside ...

Candy

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I just responded to your PM... so sorry I did not see it earlier. I am more than happy to help, sounds like your situation is very much like ours. Please get in touch!!

Also check out our web site at www.SoPoChickens.org. If you click on "chicken laws" and then scroll down to the archived site link int he text, it will take you to the site we used for our campaign. I have lots and lots of resources for approaching your town.

Best wishes,
    Stacey

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I guess my whole point was, that they were able to bring farm animals into the city limits?

bigzio

9. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do you already have chickens or were you checking the ordinances in hopes of getting some chickens? Hopefully you dont have them yet and can work out something with your municipalities!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by