Help!! clear fluid coming from hens mouth.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Triplell, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    I have a hen that is 2 1/2 years old and tonight she has water like fluid coming out of her mouth and nosterls. She also has an empty croup and has lost much weight. I give VetRX in their water plus vitamins with electrolyte's.

2. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    I wouldn't know what she has but if she drinks water and puts her head down it's just water coming back up chickens can't swallow but get her checked out if she's loseing weight and has discharge from her nose she needs to be seen

3. grassfedchicken

grassfedchicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2013
    Can't help with the diagnosis, but if i was you i would rub her neck and crop, open mouth and look inside for throat blockages. Sometimes holding them upside down for a minute and rubbing crop can loosen t if it has swallowed something (wood chips?). good luck

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Has she ever been wormed with something like Safeguard or Valbazen? Have you done a cloacal exam on her? Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

-Kathy

5. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thank you for your responses. Dreamcycle passed away this evening.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Necropsies are free in many States.

-Kathy

7. grassfedchicken

grassfedchicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2013
    So sorry to hear that! I thought she'd be okay so i didnt check up on your thread. on no. Very sorry for that.

8. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thank you for checking up on her. I miss her a lot as she always created me when she heard me coming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by