Help! Clear water like discharge from 3 month old Roo's mouth

Tintedwinged

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2021
I'm new to keeping chickens and something abnormal is happening to our little roo, we rescued him about a month ago and he's 3 months old now but a few times yesterday, and now twice today he had clear almost liquid discharge come out of his mouth ... which kind of looked like throw up water but I know that doesn't happen to chickens. He's the only one we have and he's been living inside with us, sleeping in his own hay padded cat crate and then hanging out around the house mostly with me in the living room, and then we spend a good chunk of the day outside grazing while I work. His diet has been mostly starter chicken feed with granite chick grit and then a tiny bit of chicken scratch or a few small pieces of non-salted plain peanuts. I put an optional small cup of water with a drop of ACV and his regular water is filtered. He hasn't been eating abnormally and would say his appetite is just as good and he's drinking a good amount of water. His waste has been pretty normal and regular. I'm worried something is wrong and we've gotten quite attached to him, if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

He's also not lethargic and is acting pretty normal, I also smelled his breath for the potential sour crop but it also doesn't smell like anything.

IMG_2310.jpg

I'm new to keeping chickens and something abnormal is happening to our little roo, we rescued him about a month ago and he's 3 months old now but a few times yesterday, and now twice today he had clear almost liquid discharge come out of his mouth ... which kind of looked like throw up water but I know that doesn't happen to chickens. He's the only one we have and he's been living inside with us, sleeping in his own hay padded cat crate and then hanging out around the house mostly with me in the living room, and then we spend a good chunk of the day outside grazing while I work. His diet has been mostly starter chicken feed with granite chick grit and then a tiny bit of chicken scratch or a few small pieces of non-salted plain peanuts. I put an optional small cup of water with a drop of ACV and his regular water is filtered. He hasn't been eating abnormally and would say his appetite is just as good and he's drinking a good amount of water. His waste has been pretty normal and regular. I'm worried something is wrong and we've gotten quite attached to him, if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

He's also not lethargic and is acting pretty normal, I also smelled his breath for the potential sour crop but it also doesn't smell like anything.

View attachment 2501649
i recently saw one of my hens do that! It was clear so I didn’t think too much of it, but now that I saw ur thread I looked it up and I just found this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-throwing-up.609482/post-8044439 It makes sense, so hopefully it’s nothing to worry about.

Nothing to worry about! You were right in saying that chickens can't THROW UP, meaning from the stomach. What you are seeing is from his crop, a storage pouch where chickens keep their food BEFORE it goes to their stomach. Sometimes when chickens drink too much water and then tilt their head down, the water can spill back up. Totally normal, almost every chicken newbie makes the same mistake. ☺

Nothing to worry about! You were right in saying that chickens can't THROW UP, meaning from the stomach. What you are seeing is from his crop, a storage pouch where chickens keep their food BEFORE it goes to their stomach. Sometimes when chickens drink too much water and then tilt their head down, the water can spill back up. Totally normal, almost every chicken newbie makes the same mistake. ☺
Oh my goodness thank you so much, I was over here fretting back and forth for hours

Back
Top Bottom