Help!!!! Coccidiosis epidemic!!!

Jamestown78

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2016
A week ago we moved our 7 week old chicks into the adult coop. Overnight we lost 5 chicks and 5 more during that day. Also lost a couple in our brooder that had 2-4 week olds in it. We took some of the dead ones to our local school of agriculture and after autopsies, coccidiosis was determined to be the culprit. We immediately separated them from adults and started both the older chicks and ones in brooder on Corid. We have lost another 15 older chicks and 5 young ones since. Over last couple days we still wake up to a dead one though it has definitely tapered down. With only 12 survivors left of the older hatch can I expect any survivors at this point or am I going to continually lose them 1 or 2 at a time? (no losses of younger ones in 3 days) We stopped the Corid yesterday per directions and now still on medicated feed and vitamin supplements in water. So frustrating to lose so many. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

What dosage did you use?

Did you have the liquid or the powder?

How long did you treat?

I am sorry for your losses. Coccidiosis can be brutal. :( If you have it anywhere in the flock, always treat ALL birds!!

MrsB

Not sure on dosage at the moment. (im away from home) but it was powder we added to the water. We treated for 5 days. All of our adults have shown no sign of distress so didnt think it was necessary to treat them.

Last edited:
While adults can build up ... I don't want to call it an "immunity," but they are better able to handle it... It's a good idea to run it through everyone's water.

The 9.6% liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, treat for 5-7 days, and mix fresh at least once a day. During this time, ensure it's the only water they can access.

Did this sound familiar to your process?

MrsB

I hope not. :(

The Corid should take care of it.

I would run some vitamins and minerals through their water to help them with any deficiencies caused by the Corid.

Let us know!

MrsB

Had 3 more die overnight. Putting them back on Corid. What's the worse that can happen, they die? Feeling defeated though. 35 chicks dying in a week is devastating after all the care put into them for 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom