help!!!! Coccidiosis help needed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Qualara, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Qualara

Qualara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia
    I've had ttwo babies die yesterday very unexpectedly. They are between 3 and 2 months old. They are pooping red very were. I gave them a preventive about a month ago and yesterday I started another dose of medication. What else can I do?????? Please help me save my babies. :(

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

What preventative did you give? And are they on Corid now?

3. Qualara

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia
    I used Amprolium 200. Its a preventive and treatment. I live in Australia so I might not get some meds you do.

4. cafarmgirl

Amprolium should take care of it, look to see if there are different doses for preventative versus treating an outbreak, may need to mix it stronger. Were they out on the ground a month ago when they got the medication the first time? If not it won't do any good, they have to have exposure at the same time so they can build immunity.

As far as right now, make sure they are actually drinking well on their own, a lot of times they don't feel great and won't drink enough. It might be a good idea to give it to them directly with an eye dropper or small, needless syringe several times a day if you can, until things start to clear up.

5. Qualara

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia

With the treatment you just treat them for a few days more then the preventive. No they weren't on the ground when I gave it to them I didn't know. :(
    I'll bring the super sick ones inside and give it to them by syringe. Thank you.

6. cafarmgirl

Good luck with them, hope they make it! Be careful giving it directly, just a little at a time slowly in the side of the beak, don't want them aspirating it.

7. Qualara

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia
    One just died in my hands... oh god this is awful. I'm in tears. Is there anything else I can do on top of the meds? The next one who looks really sick is my favorate. Shes just so loving i need her to live. :( :( :(

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Forgot to say that I usually give the drench amount once a day for 1-3 days. This is done in addition to their medicated water.

-Kathy

10. Qualara

Sep 3, 2015
    Australia
    Thank you. I have done that. Can only wait now. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by