Help? Coccidiosis in day ld chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TherryChicken, Mar 2, 2013.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Ok well today I noticed one of my chicked passed what looked like blood in urine/poop.. (It was just lquid and then that, not mixed in) Anyway, I also have anther chick (don't know if this is the same chick who passed the "blood" or not) that it walks as if it's on it's tip toes and at a sitting like position.
    Is this coccidiosis? If so how do I treat it with day old chicks? If medication, what is it called?

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Chicks often shed intestinal lining and that is normal. Take a look at this page to be sure that isn't what you are seeing:
    http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

If you think you are dealing with coccidiosis, here's what I would do.
    If they are on medicated feed, get them on a fresh bag of organic starter/grower feed. Get some Corid 9.6% solution (most feed stores carry it) and add 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. If you don't see positive results in 2-3 days, you'll have to go with a different med for coccidia. I always keep two meds on hand for coccidiosis:

1. Corid 9.6% Solution
    2. Sulfadimethoxine powder 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for no more than 3 days. Don't use Sulmet, which is Sodium Sulfamethazine, and is very hard on a young bird's system as well as an older bird.

Young chicks can also contract Enteritis or Salmonella, so that's why you need to keep us informed daily as to how your chicks are doing.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  3. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    none of them, but i put probiotic meds in their water and put them on medicated feed cause the one that is moving on it's tip toes and looks funny is acting more and more lathargic too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by