HELP - Coccidiosis??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jdline, Sep 3, 2016.

1. jdline

jdline New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    First let me disclose that I am VERY inexperienced at raising chickens so I need some guidance.
    I have two eight week old Sussex that seem to be sick. On Thursday I noticed some bloody stool in the brooder and my 2 sick chickies were listless and hunched down with fluffy unkempt feathers. Of course I immediately consulted Google and determined that it was probably coxy. Since then they have been drinking nothing but water containing the Corid Soluble Powder. The chicks are still alive and their condition does not seem to have improved. Based on what I have read they should either be dead or better by now??? Maybe I miss diagnosed? HELP!

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Can you get pics of the poop? and birds?

most importantly their brooder needs to be kept clean and VERY DRY for it to not keep reoccuring
    more than likely it is cocci, it is very common

And of course WELCOME TO BYC!!

[​IMG]

3. jdline

jdline New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the poop. After cleaning the brooder like crazy and giving them the medicated water the bloody stool seems to have stopped. Hopefully they will start to improve in the next day or 2. Thanks for responding!!

4. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    if the blood has stopped your chickens will start perking up within a few days of that, i think after 2 days of meds then 3 days my chickens were 'fine' but i did the full 7 day treatment

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by