Help! Coccidiosis

nitrex

Hatching
Mar 12, 2015
Kansas
I've been trying to save about 10 of my 3 week old chicks from Coccidiosis. We have them on sulfadimethoxine (2 tsp per gallon of water) and moved them to medicated feed. I was gone on a business trip last week and my kids were not aware that a few of them were becoming ill (lethargic, laying down, loss of appetite, diarehea, poor condition). I believe we are around day 6 or 7 with the sickness, but have only been treating for 3 days. Yesterday I started to use an eyedropper to make sure they were getting the meds and stay hydrated. I recieved a recommendation today to mash up some hard-boiled egg yolk and try getting them to eat it for quick protein/energy.

Any other suggestions?

So far we haven't lost any but have not seen much improvement.

Thanks for the help...

Nitrex

I've been trying to save about 10 of my 3 week old chicks from Coccidiosis. We have them on sulfadimethoxine (2 tsp per gallon of water) and moved them to medicated feed. I was gone on a business trip last week and my kids were not aware that a few of them were becoming ill (lethargic, laying down, loss of appetite, diarehea, poor condition). I believe we are around day 6 or 7 with the sickness, but have only been treating for 3 days. Yesterday I started to use an eyedropper to make sure they were getting the meds and stay hydrated. I recieved a recommendation today to mash up some hard-boiled egg yolk and try getting them to eat it for quick protein/energy.

Any other suggestions?

So far we haven't lost any but have not seen much improvement.

Thanks for the help...

Nitrex

Here is a link that warns that the drug is not approved for laying hens.https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/sulfadimethox_albon_.html Also, if you are medicating their water at the severe dosage, they do not need medicated feed. Electrolytes and probiotics would help them. If they will eat the egg yolk right now, that is good but switch them back to a good chick starter as soon as you can. I hope your babies make it! Corid (amprolium) is a good medication for Coccidiosis (same medication in medicated chick starter).
smile.png

Thanks for the quick responses! I have a few other questions...

1. How much water from an eye dropper would be sufficient per attempt? I was probably getting a maximum of 1/2 tsp 5-6 times yesterday.

2. Now that I started with the Sulfamethoxine, should I stick with it or change to Corid? I assumed the Sulfamethoxine was safe to use in young chicks as they won't be laying for at least 12 weeks.

Thanks again!!!

Nitrex

1. How much water from an eye dropper would be sufficient per attempt? I was probably getting a maximum of 1/2 tsp 5-6 times yesterday.

2. Now that I started with the Sulfamethoxine, should I stick with it or change to Corid? I assumed the Sulfamethoxine was safe to use in young chicks as they won't be laying for at least 12 weeks.

Thanks again!!!

Nitrex

It just says not to give to chickens over 16 weeks, I just wanted you to know. It is ok right now.
smile.png

Thanks again!!!

Nitrex
How much do they weigh?

-Kathy

If you have the 12.5% liquid you could try giving it undiluted to the ones that aren't drinking. The amount I saw listed for pigeons works out to 0.02ml per 100 grams of body weigh (25mg/kg).

-Kathy

This might help you figure out how much they weigh if you don't have a scale:
Source:http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps046
Table 2.
Example of target body weights during the rearing of replacement pullets.

Body weight
(Pounds)

(Grams)

If I had to guess I would say that they are in the 100-200 gram range if they're standard egg laying type breeds

-Kathy

Kathy,

My healthy chicks are in the 200g plus range. The ones I need to get water into are in the 125-150 range. They haven't eaten much the past few days.

Nitrex

Back
Top Bottom