HELP!!! Cochin hen has BAD foot!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FowlLanguage, May 14, 2010.

1. FowlLanguage

FowlLanguage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Limping, crusted feet, deformed talons - I don't know what to do! She doesn't yelp when I touch her foot, so it probably isn't broken... She can't move around too much. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I don't know, but thought I'd give it a bump. Can you give any background? What do you mean by crusted? Could be mites. Can you post a pic?

3. FowlLanguage

Jan 14, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    I don't have a camera. Her foot looks like there is a bunch of dry mud on it, but it is part of her foot.

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I think it's a bad case of bumble foot. Maybe try soaking her feet in warm water?

Good luck!

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Are there lumps on top of her feet? is there a black scab on the bottom of either foot? Sounds like it could be a bad combo of scaly leg mites and bumblefoot. It's not easy to get rid of trust me. You will need to soak her feet in warm water with betadine and epsom salt for at least 20 minutes and try to get off as much gunk as possible. Once you have pulled some of the crud off change the water and soak her for a few more minutes. If there is a black scab on the bottom of her feet I need you to get it out with an exacto knife steralized in alcohol. Make sure alll the crud is out leaving a nice clean hole, pack the wound with triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever and slather it alll over her feet and legs then wrap in gauze and over that wrap it in vetwrap and keep her in a clean comfortable area. DO the foot soaks for a week straight everyday changing the bandages everyday and you should notice some improvements.

6. FowlLanguage

Jan 14, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    I doesn't look like the pictures on Google Images when I searched bumblefoot and scaly leg mites... If I can remember correctly, her foot has always been like this, but she didn't limp until a 2-3 months ago.

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Here are some pics of a frizzle cochin hen I rescued not tooo long ago, her feet were caked with what I thought was mud.

Her are her feet before treatments
    [​IMG]

A chunk of this gunk I pulled off the side of her leg
    [​IMG]

After a few soaks and prying that crap off of her legs and feet
    [​IMG]

And here is one of the tops of her feet, notice the bubble looking lumps on the top of both feet, that is bumblefoot. I cut into it and pulled a huge yellow hard rubbery mass out fo there.
    [​IMG]

Did it look anything like that?

Last edited: May 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by