Help! Cockeral or pullet JG?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kychickenz, Aug 17, 2013.

1. kychickenz

kychickenz New Egg

Jun 2, 2013
    Ashland, KY
    I have four Jersey Giant chickens that were bought online and all supposedly hatched at the same time-they're about 9 wks old and one has already sprouted an impressive comb and wattles and is "meatier" than the others but it's tail feathers don't look any different. Is there anyone with some JG experience that can give me some insight on what to expect?:/

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Post photos of all of them, and we'll do our best to sex them for you. Should be able to at 9 weeks.

Refer to the link at the top of the forum for the photos that are the most helpful for sexing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  3. Chickery Chick

Chickery Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If one has a larger comb/wattles than the others, it is certainly possible that he is a cockerel. However, photos would help us identify them. Sometimes, some birds just develop faster than others.

5. kychickenz

kychickenz New Egg

Jun 2, 2013
    Ashland, KY
    Still new at this and not sure how to do it just yet-my "roo in question" had been changed to my profile picture and I've downloaded them on my profile

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If it's that white bird you have close up photos of, yes it's a rooster.

7. kychickenz

kychickenz New Egg

Jun 2, 2013
    Ashland, KY
    Yes-my Jersey Giant in questions is indeed the picture of the white chicken on my profile! Thank you guys! I love the Jersey Giant breed and am kind of excited about having a rooster!:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by