1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Help! Cockerel being mean to pullets...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tripletfeb, Jun 20, 2018.

1. tripletfeb

tripletfeb Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    The little farm
    Hey all! I have 6 chickens, one a cockerel and the rest I believe are pullets. They are all 8 weeks old, raised together the whole time. The past few days, the cockerel has been chasing one pullet around like crazy. He won't leave her alone. He catches her then will bite her neck, he does not mount her or anything. Just chases her and bites her, she will make lots of noise when she gets caught. I finally got mad enough at him today that I put him in the coop by himself so she can get a break. He has access to food and water at all times. Is that behavior normal or is he a bully? And I just heard him crow for the first time, as I am typing this!! Is he calling for his ladies?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is starting to become sexually mature, and the pullets are not ready for his advances. I would remove him from the flock until the pullets start laying. If you have mature hens, put him with them and he'll get an education in manners.

3. tripletfeb

tripletfeb Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    The little farm
    I only have the 6 chickens. And while I have a plan for unwanted roosters(can't have roosters where I live) I can't take him to the other farm for another month. If I keep him seperate from the pullets, will he keep calling for them? Don't want to make the neighbors mad if he keeps crowing.

4. Killer Tomato

Killer Tomato Songster

Mar 2, 2017
    Willamette Pass, Oregon
    The neighbors can deal with it for a month, I think, as long as they know the "end is in sight". You probably won't have to isolate him for that long. Usually a day or two will help him to relax a little. Hopefully. :)

True Patriot likes this.
  5. tripletfeb

tripletfeb Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    The little farm
    I sure hope so, thanks!

6. tripletfeb

tripletfeb Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    The little farm
    Another question, can I put them together at night? I don't have a safe place for him to go overnight that would be safe from predators, I will be putting the predator apron around the run this weekend but can't do it yet. Thanks for all the help!

Killer Tomato likes this.
  7. Killer Tomato

Killer Tomato Songster

Mar 2, 2017
    Willamette Pass, Oregon
    Of course you should keep him safe at night! If your coop is large enough, and he's calm, he could be on the roost with everyone. If he's still being a snot at dusk/dawn in the coop, before you open things up, you could put him in a cat carrier on the coop floor. Or a cat carrier in your bathroom/garage/kitchen.

He might be singling this one hen out because that's his new favorite, you know! Hair pulling in grade school turns to crushes and dating in middle school and high school.

8. thatknightgirl

thatknightgirl In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Florida
    Normal. This happened with me but mine started pulling out all the other babies back feathers. I had to separate and when I did he immediately started crowing and would NOT stop. I live in the country though so no big deal. He is now getting adjusted to a flock of four older girls. Tonight will be his first night with them and not in a separate cage within the coop/run. I suggest separating for sure and putting with older chickens if able. My babies were so pretty and happy until he bullied the feathers out of them. Luckily mine was/is big enough to add with an older flock (he grew way quicker than his sisters) so it works out perfect for me. They needed a boy anyways.

Peeps61 and Killer Tomato like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: