Help! Cockerel has adopted its self at our horses!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ampnyc85, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Ampnyc85

Ampnyc85 New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    Hello, wondering if someone maybe able to help me, we have recently had a cockerel turned up at the horses, we have tried to find its owner but cannot, he has really grown to like the place, and we would like to know more about him, can any one help with finding out his breed? He hasn't got a red crown on top of head, he has got black,green colour feather and some white as well, very pretty looking, any help be great. Thanks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  3. Ampnyc85

Ampnyc85 New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank you very much for your help, yes it does look like he could be, I have no ideas I have cats and horses not cockerels lol, so it's new to us, just want him to have a good life in the right place. Thank you

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Your most welcome :thumbsup

I bet he would like some nice hens as friends ;)

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I was thinking possibly a partridge Wyandotte, maybe a bantam, but difficult to assess breed and size from that distance.
    Horses and chickens go quite well together if you aren't too particular about having things tidy. My main flock and horses cohabit very well. The chickens pick through the muck heap eating bugs and salvaging any grains from the straw bedding, but I end up sweeping up ten times a day!.

Like Yorkshire Coop I would be tempted to find him some girlfriends, but that would be a foot on the slippery slope of "chicken maths" which can become an addiction if you aren't very disciplined..... I speak from experience here! Started with a trio 3 years ago and now have the best part of 100 running around!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

:goodpost: Barbara!

7. Ampnyc85

Ampnyc85 New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    Oh ok I will look into that breed as well, unfortunately me and my mum are scared of birds lol, so it's hard to get to close, we are getting braver but still scary, I think we may have to find him a home where he can Have a hen, just need to find right home, bless him.

8. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Oh don't be worried about being scared. I was seriously bird phobic, convinced my eyes would pecked out and everything. My son and his Dad started out with chickens. They got a second hand coop and run and tootled off and got a couple of warrens (Hybrid hens) Amy and Penny arrived and I was petrified of them, didn't even go near them at first. But they grew on me and over time I realised I wasn't going to be attacked by them. After that there was no stopping me and the chickens in my garden grew in number...............

9. Ampnyc85

Ampnyc85 New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank you, hopefully get more used to him, mum is growing round to the idea of him being there now, but will he get lonely if he hasn't got a hen? He seems friendly and listens to me when talk to him lol, just very nervous of us but he's not threatening to us.

10. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Chickens are a flock animal and do enjoy company of their own kind but some don't mind being in their own. If you got some hens you would have to keep them confined for a while and give them a safe coop/henhouse for on a night time or Mr fox will get them.

I would think he has probably been dumped as he's a cockerel and or been used for unscrupulous purposes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by