Help! Cold Newly-Hatched Pigeons!

ReseisCL16

Songster
9 Years
May 17, 2014
It's -8 degrees outside right now (coldest night of the entire year so far) and my grizzle pigeon just hatched an egg! I think it was almost two days late, but it hatched. I was pretty worried about the cold, so I have two heat lamps in their loft right now, one a 150 watt and the other a 90 watt that is pointed right at her. Despite the heat, she is still shivering. How cold can squabs handle? Will the squab be okay just underneath her?

Would it work to move them into a more insulated box? I've heard that moving them can cause the hen to abandon the nest, but it might be worse to leave her where she is now.

Any advice would be great! Thank you!

It's -8 degrees outside right now my grizzle pigeon just hatched an egg! Any advice would be great!
Your new squab should be fine for a week or more.
I combated the problem by moving nest bowl parent and all in total darkness into this (once the squabs had hatched and were getting too large.)
Line the cooler.
I used an empty feed bag and change it when needed. It makes life easier and you will be happy you did.

cooler-jpg.1645466

This was the result "Snowball & Frostie". These eggs were laid on Christmas Eve in Canada New Brunswick to be exact. A few years back subject to -40º at times.

11813-jpg.1645465

Last edited:
It's -8 degrees outside right now (coldest night of the entire year so far) and my grizzle pigeon just hatched an egg! I think it was almost two days late, but it hatched. I was pretty worried about the cold, so I have two heat lamps in their loft right now, one a 150 watt and the other a 90 watt that is pointed right at her. Despite the heat, she is still shivering. How cold can squabs handle? Will the squab be okay just underneath her?

Would it work to move them into a more insulated box? I've heard that moving them can cause the hen to abandon the nest, but it might be worse to leave her where she is now.

Any advice would be great! Thank you!
She will be fine for a week or so untill the baby is to big for the parents to sit on but doesn't have feathers yet. Then you may need to bring it inside and hand feed it at that point if you want it to have a good chance at survival. Keep us posted!

Your new squab should be fine for a week or more.
I combated the problem by moving nest bowl parent and all in total darkness into this (once the squabs had hatched and were getting too large.)
Line the cooler.
I used an empty feed bag and change it when needed. It makes life easier and you will be happy you did.

That's a good idea! I'm really hoping it warms up soon. In Colorado, March can either be beautiful or absolutely bitter. At the moment, I have 15 chicks and this new squab in this weather who are definitely wishing it was 60 instead of 15 outside right now. It's just lovely...

I will keep the cooler in mind. Like I said, hopefully it warms up, but if it doesn't, then the cooler may be my only option.

Is this one of your Portuguese tumblers?

Yes, it is! It has warmed up to about 15 degrees now, which is actually tolerable, thank goodness.

Besides the heat lamp, I also put a piece of foam slanted in front of her with enough space so that she can get out, but it hopefully will keep her and baby warmer.

20190304_083804.jpg

The hen still looks a little chilly, but is now taking turns with her mate, so she's had food, water, and some stretching time. I've only ever had chickens before and it's so sweet how the hen and the cock take turns on the nest! So far, I think that may be my favorite thing about them! However, I was a bit disappointed when I realized how pathetic their nests are. :gig

That's a good idea! I'm really hoping it warms up soon. In Colorado, March can either be beautiful or absolutely bitter. At the moment, I have 15 chicks and this new squab in this weather who are definitely wishing it was 60 instead of 15 outside right now. It's just lovely...

I will keep the cooler in mind. Like I said, hopefully it warms up, but if it doesn't, then the cooler may be my only option.

Yes, it is! It has warmed up to about 15 degrees now, which is actually tolerable, thank goodness.

Besides the heat lamp, I also put a piece of foam slanted in front of her with enough space so that she can get out, but it hopefully will keep her and baby warmer.

View attachment 1690867

The hen still looks a little chilly, but is now taking turns with her mate, so she's had food, water, and some stretching time. I've only ever had chickens before and it's so sweet how the hen and the cock take turns on the nest! So far, I think that may be my favorite thing about them! However, I was a bit disappointed when I realized how pathetic their nests are. :gig
Looks like your doing everything right! Good luck.

's so sweet how the hen and the cock take turns on the nest! So far, I think that may be my favorite thing about them! However, I was a bit disappointed when I realized how pathetic their nests are. :gig
x2 :lau

Please be sure your lamps are double and triple secured...and to clear the bulb of dust often in order to reduce fire risk....:oops:.

Back
Top Bottom