HELP Comb suddenly Blackening??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chrisbekah1, Apr 20, 2016.

1. chrisbekah1

chrisbekah1 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Maine
    My silver laced Wyandotte is really the outsider in our flock of hens and Had been shunned by the rooster for the past couple months or so. Well today I have just noticed her comb is turning black and I'm not sure if this is scanning from
    Being pecked or if it is a disease of some Sort? It's having me worried.. Any ideas or thoughts? I can't find anything else online that looks like it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. Ourpeeps123

Ourpeeps123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    Do you live in a cold area?

3. Ourpeeps123

Ourpeeps123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    It could be frostbite.

4. chrisbekah1

May 8, 2014
    Maine
    Yes, I'm in Maine. But I never noticed this before today, although she's never nearby ... She's more of a loner. This doesn't look like frostbite I have seen.

5. chrisbekah1

May 8, 2014
    Maine
    [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like dried blood from an injury or from pecking. It will take a few weeks to heal. Is there a bully in the flock? The rooster could also have done this. Could be she is not receptive to his advances. Keep an eye on him. I had a mild mannered hen scalped by a young rooster once. He soon went to frreezer camp.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. chrisbekah1

May 8, 2014
    Maine
    Yes that's what I think it is... She never has accepted my roosters advances and just runs from him and has been shunned by all the other hens as well for it. I feel bad for her but I'm glad it's not a disease... My rooster is friendly with every other hen we have but he sure does chase her around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by