HELP!!! completely shell less/no membrane egg?

MichelleMillar

Chirping
Apr 11, 2021
This has been happening on and off as far as I know so far it’s only one hen so far. Can this be from stress? I’m new to chickens and I’ve been off to a rocky start. Any help is or advice is welcome... I do provide free choice oyster shells as well as layer feed.

Attachments

• F11A6BBA-C408-47DF-B678-3F545C719A0A.jpeg
    F11A6BBA-C408-47DF-B678-3F545C719A0A.jpeg
    796.1 KB · Views: 11
When I had that happen it was recommended that I give the pullet doing that a calcium tablet once per day until she laid a normal egg then for 3 days after that. I've had oyster shell out since then and I've still have to give her a calcium pill every other week or so. I have calcium in capsules so I sprinkle the powder over a little feed and get it damp to make a mash. She loved it, and it's been working.

I'm not sure if it is stress related, I don't think my pullet's issues were from stress, I'm guessing she doesn't process calcium as well or she just takes more.

When I had that happen it was recommended that I give the pullet doing that a calcium tablet once per day until she laid a normal egg then for 3 days after that. I've had oyster shell out since then and I've still have to give her a calcium pill every other week or so. I have calcium in capsules so I sprinkle the powder over a little feed and get it damp to make a mash. She loved it, and it's been working.

I'm not sure if it is stress related, I don't think my pullet's issues were from stress, I'm guessing she doesn't process calcium as well or she just takes more.

Sorry if this sounds silly but did you have to separate her? How did you give it to just her.
I didn't separate her as she was more stressed when I took her out of the coop. She's in a small flock of 3 total, so I took a little plastic dish with two sides, put a little feed and the calcium powder on one side and some plan feed mash on the other and let her eat the calcium side and let the other two eat along side her. I just held the dish and kept Blue's head pecking on the calcium side. They all loved their special breakfast for the week.

I should add, don't use more feed than what you know they can eat, I was doing maybe 2 to 3 tablespoons with the calcium sprinkled and then just enough water to get it all damp and soft but not runny.

Blue was due for some calcium so I figured I'd just take some photos 😊

I use chick starter since u have some and the layer feed I have is pellets, but damp pellets will work too, they will crumble and hold the calcium.

20210514_062050.jpg

Then I dump on the calcium from the capsule.

20210514_062118.jpg

Then add about 1 tbsp of water to the calcium side, the other side gets a little more as I let both other pullets eat it.
20210514_062219.jpg

The girls know this routine! They are ready for some breakfast.

20210514_062419.jpg

I always feed Blue on my left, Mosa was on the "wrong" side 🤣
20210514_062446.jpg

They think it's a total treat and none the wiser that Blue is getting doctored.
20210514_062534.jpg

This is awesome thank you! I discovered we have a raccoon trying to get in the coop at night I saw paw 🐾 prints this morning! I think this may be stress related but I will try this for sure. I have a rooster also so I have to be careful with the calcium as he already eats the layer crumble. I rescued him and the suspect hen of these liquid eggs. They had a hard life. I’ve only had them a few months and they have come so far. We introduced two hens two weeks ago so I know that can be stressful but they are all so happy together. It’s funny because she gave me a double yolk 3 days ago. Who knows what this raccoon is doing and how long he is persistent. I can’t say never but my coop is lock down like Fort Knox. He may be able to get into the run but hopefully 🤞🏼 Never my coop.

PS you are such a great chicken momma and your girls are just beautiful. I will get some Calcium tabs today! Just regular human ones? Do you suggest a strength? Thanks

This is awesome thank you! I discovered we have a raccoon trying to get in the coop at night I saw paw 🐾 prints this morning! I think this may be stress related but I will try this for sure. I have a rooster also so I have to be careful with the calcium as he already eats the layer crumble. I rescued him and the suspect hen of these liquid eggs. They had a hard life. I’ve only had them a few months and they have come so far. We introduced two hens two weeks ago so I know that can be stressful but they are all so happy together. It’s funny because she gave me a double yolk 3 days ago. Who knows what this raccoon is doing and how long he is persistent. I can’t say never but my coop is lock down like Fort Knox. He may be able to get into the run but hopefully 🤞🏼 Never my coop.

PS you are such a great chicken momma and your girls are just beautiful. I will get some Calcium tabs today! Just regular human ones? Do you suggest a strength? Thanks
Thanks! I really enjoy our meeps and really try to give them the best care possible, I'm pretty new so I'm still learning!!

I've seen calcium citrate recommended on here, 1 tablet, but I'm not sure what mg's. I've been using Bone Up, it has a high bioavailability and has 166mg per capsule, it also has other vitamins, I put a request out here to see if it was an acceptable mix for the chickens and didn't get a response, but so far so good with Blue.

Attachments

• 20210514_111426.jpg
    20210514_111426.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom