Help: Concerned about what I found with eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Terri E, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Terri E

Terri E Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    Onalaska, Tx
    Ok, I am not good in posting but I'll try my best.

I have went to collect eggs and found three eggs plus a very odd looking form. The texture almost felt like an egg but very soft. Even the color is the same as My Ameracuna eggs. I wish i can add a picture of it. but don't see the option here. I'm on my cell phone.

So I'll try to describe it... which don't think I'm good at but still try.

Imagine a shower rod figure 8 hook. at one end is like a bulb of a bulb basting syringe and the snake part that make the rest of the figure 8 is a thick as a pinky figure (well, like mine, having small hands).

Now my Ameracuna has been laying eggs for four days, and I went to collect. It's the recent one that looks, undeveloped properly. The other three eggs are fine hard shell.

Now I also have young female Ameracunas (3) that just turned 3 months (hatched first week of October), could it be one of them and isn't it to early for them to lay about this
    time?
    I cannot remember.

[​IMG]

Found out how to add picture by editing...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, that's a weird one.......not a problem if it only happens once...or once in a very great while.
    Not unusual to have funky eggs from a new layer.
    As long as she appears healthy in every other way, eating, drinking, pooping, and active...
    ...I wouldn't worry about it too much.

What and how exactly are you feeding?

Check out some of these:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697007/weird-or-odd-eggs-pics

3. Terri E

Terri E Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    Onalaska, Tx

Well, chicken feed from Tractor Supply - crumble.. layer.
    my husband told me he has been giving them his banana peeling to them but chopped up first.
    on occasionally i share my bread with them. They free range most of the time.

4. baredrock101

baredrock101 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    You should feed them oyster shell for calcium. you can mix it in with there feed or put it in a different bowl.

Ameracunas lay blue/green eggs.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No, do not mix it with the feed....separate container is best.

The layer feed should have enough calcium, but it never hurts to have extra available if they need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by