HELP!!!! Confused about egg cartons!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hobbychick, Feb 27, 2009.

1. hobbychick

hobbychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    I am a little confused about incubating in egg cartons. It seems like the way to go according to what I have been reading on here from some of the other posts, but I am confused about when to put the eggs in the cartons. Some of you put them in the cartons to start and some of you put them in the cartons on day 18. Is either fine to do? I have eggs to go in the bator tomorrow and am wondering what I should do. I know I want to put them in the cartons I just don't know when I should do it. Please help me!![​IMG]

2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    well it depends on how you plan on turning your eggs. I have an auto turner and so they are in it till day 18 and then I am going to put them in cartons to hatch. But some people "turn" them in the cartons by placing them up on a brick etc.... and then shift them instead of actually turning them. So how are you planning on turning them??

3. hobbychick

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    I was going to turn each one by hand but it sounds easier to tilt the carton back and forth. I just didn't want to leave them in the cartons the entire 21 days if it were bad for them.

4. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    if you have a turner put them in it,then on day 18 move them to cartons, if you don't have a turner put them in cartons if you know how to turn them in them ( just tilt the cartons to 30 deg)

5. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    myself i am makin a homemade bator and will put mine in cartons on day one all the way to hatch and just turn them by alternating a small block under one side. that way when it is time to go to the hatcher bator, i can jsut pick them up and move them over. [​IMG]

6. hobbychick

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    OK that seems to help me out!! What type of carton do you use? In another post someone told me cardboard, but i read in a post of another persons to use the other kind?

7. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Most use the cardboard ones and some even trim them down. Cut off the excess around the edges. I think that is what I am going to do this time around.

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I like to hand turn mine and then on day 18 I put them in the carton (paper) and let them hatch.... I may trim mine this year to allow them to get about a little easier after they hatch.

Everyone finds their own method that works well for them [​IMG]

9. hobbychick

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    I prepared cardboard cartons tonight so they would be ready first thing in the morning, I am just going to start from day one in the cartons and pray!![​IMG]

10. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    i personally use the cardboard/paper cartons. i trim them down and cut a hold in the bottom. not sure if it really helps but i feel like the little eggies can breath better the more shell that is exposed to the fresh air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by