Help confused with Terminology

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mstricer, Sep 19, 2009.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm having issue. I've never incubated eggs before. I bought a hova-bator. (with fan). Have had it on and running for 6 days. Have collected the test eggs. Have not set because all this terminology is starting to freak me out. I think I got the putting them in the incubator right going to use egg carton, heres the problem this turning thing (unfortantly I am a visual kind of person got kinds see it) Dont under stand turning (I know dumb girl shouldnt do this huh?)
    If in egg carton is that like, turning it clockwise? And what about zipping whats that I dont recall that in stuff I've read. pipping I think I have-chick pecking through egg?
    Please help me, show me the way:confused:

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You turn the eggs from side to side.... three times a day.

So, at 8AM the large end of the egg is slanted to the left, at 4PM the large end of the egg is straight up, at midnight the large end of the egg is slanted to the far right... always keeping the pointy end down.

That's why I use an automatic turner for the first 18 days.

Good luck. Test out that bator!

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    pipo- beak stick out of little hole.
    zip- the chcik has cracked the egg in a circle.

if you use egg cartons you don't turn the eggs, you stick a brick under one side of the incubator, then switch it to the other. /o or o\\

I "tilted" the carton INSIDE the bator with a box of scotch tape-refill, so no egg got too close to the heating element. Then I could tilt all four sides. I just moved the scotch tape to the next side.

If you turn by hand, take a pencil and write x on one side, and o on the other. Every time you turn, mark on a piece of paper which side you are on

xoxoxoxoxox

Always turn an odd number of times a day.

4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkuohLV2u0k
    if
    you watch until about .53 seconds, that's turning. When they start talking about 'day 19' that little hole is a pip, the zipper is the very next shot where it looks like the chick has made a line of broken shell all the way around.

Hop this helps.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    that was pretty sweet..but the comments... Oy people are dumb sometimes.

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Dont use the brick under one end if its a still air, as eggs will get hotter as they get near the heating element.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone. I think I can do it:fl

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    DEERMAN- if you stick a brick under the incubator, the eggs never change distance from the heating element. If you stick a brick under the carton, however, you will cook the jiminiechristmas outta your eggs [​IMG]

9. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. Get a turner. Really, you will go nuts forgetting to turn your eggs and prbably get a bad hatch.

I leave turning to the automatic turner and mama hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by