Help coop advice needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pennychaney89, Sep 22, 2012.

1. pennychaney89

pennychaney89 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi,

Today I moved my three 4 week old chicks (well feathered) out to there coop and I cannot have a heat lamp in the coop as no power outlet available.

There is an enclosed part of coup where I have put hay down. Will they be alright? What else can I do to keep them wrm at night?:(

2. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome!
    They will huddle together to keep warm. Just make sure they have good ventilation up above and no drafts blowing directly on them. The hay will help too. You will be surprised at how well they do.

3. pennychaney89

Sep 1, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks that makes me feel better very nervous :)

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    At four weeks, they really should be okay. I have never had a chick in a brooder past that age, and some that I hatched the last day of January (last day of July equivalent for you), were still outside full-time by the time they were four weeks old. The main thing is to ensure there are no drafts where they are sleeping. How cool are nights in Sydney this time of year?

5. pennychaney89

Sep 1, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    It is about 14 degree celcius at the moment so about 55-60 Farenheit. Checked them this morning and they are alive and happy :)

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I figured they would be - thanks for the update!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by