Help!! Coturnix on day 22

CamiLynn

Songster
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Southern Mississippi
I thought my coturnix eggs were dead as its day 22 and I have seen nothing, so I decided to pull them and was going to e-topsy to see why they didn't hatch. I pipped an egg on the aircell end and see the chick with the sack formed around the chick ( not sure how to tell if it dried to them, but they hadn't pipped so I wouldn't think it was) so I decided to pip the sack by the beak and when I did the beak started opening a closing...this chick is alive!!! I pipped another one the same way and pipped a blood vessel and lost the chick. I put them back in the bator along with the one I pipped (it's still alive and moving its beak) and now have two eggs rocking! What the heck???!!! It's day 22, 4 days late!! Do I do anything or keep my hands off?? This is crazy!!

I've hatched ducks 2 months late. Some just take there time. I suggest you keep the incubater humid

Last edited:
And humidity that is too high... What type of incubator are you using and what are your settings?

And humidity that is too high... What type of incubator are you using and what are your settings?

I honestly think it was humidity fluctuation cause I has hatched chicks last week suddenly due to a broody hen abandoning the nest after hatching one chick during the freeze. So the bator got opened several times. It a farm innovator still air. I have hatched numerous chicken eggs and had great hatches. This was my first go at quail and I definitely learned what not to do for next time! Temp is steady 100 and right now I bumped the humidity to 75%

Back
Top Bottom