1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! Coturnix Quail Chick breathing problems. - Chick died :/

Discussion in 'Quail' started by HoneyNutmeg, Nov 7, 2012.

1. HoneyNutmeg

HoneyNutmeg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Australia
    My 1 day old quail chick has been weak ever since it hatched. It hatched 12 hours after the other 2 I have.
    It hasn't eaten or drunken anything (maybe a few drops of water) and it's very sleepy. I have tried it on a bit of sugar water, but that didn't seem to help at all.
    Sometimes I think it's getting better, but then it goes back down hill, and right now, it looks dead, just breathing, no body movement.
    It gasps for air if it's finding it hard breathing. I'm guessing it's a respiratory problem.
    I've separated it from the others and tried to clean out the brooder as best as I could.
    The chick's feces are white with green and they are gooey.
    I've become attached to this little chick, and I am absolutely devastated to find it's sick.
    I have no 'avian' vet where I live, and the vet's here don't seem to take poultry in.
    If you have any suggestions or advice for me, it would be much appreciated.. To save this little guys life!
    (I know culling it would probably be the most highly recommended answer, but no, I'm looking for ways to possibly improve his chances of survival.)

- Sorry if you're unable to understand me, I haven't slept and I'm just typing what's going on in my head! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. HoneyNutmeg

HoneyNutmeg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Australia
    Sad to say, the poor little guy died a few moments after I posted this.
    R.I.P [​IMG]

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I'm sorry for your loss. :hugs

4. also sorry to hear about the loss, its good to hear other 2 are doing well, i had total of 12 pass away on me last week, i know how your feeling.

5. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. im so upset with myself, i dropped the waterer this morning, i lost 2 chicks, so upset.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by