Help - Could it be Marek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buzzard Bluff Farm, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Buzzard Bluff Farm

Buzzard Bluff Farm New Egg

Apr 13, 2011
    3 year old Americana hen -- about 8 days ago noticed her staying by herself, not walking around much. (have 20 hens (age 4 years to 6 months & 6 peafowl - free range)
    She started roosting in nest box at night and quickly got weaker, stopped eating, diarrhea. When I picked her up and did a full exam noticed mites, treated her for them (along with everyone else and coop. Moved her by herself and have her on heating pad. At first her crop seemed a little too full also. Tried massaging, giving her olive oil, and started antibiotic(didn't know what else to do). Tried feeding chopped egg(won't eat) have been feeding her a little warm coconut oil with dropper mixed with viitamins.
    She hasn't walked in 3 days. Today her legs seemed paralysed. When I pick her up head and wings still move but not legs. There is also a lot of dander. She is weaker each day. What can I do and how bad is it for the rest of the flock?. Everyone else seems fine except for several with a lot of feather loss, assumed just molting time.
    I am close to full panic. Thank you for any help.

2. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Is there any discharge from the eyes/mouth?
    What does her poop look like?
    Any unusual spots on her legs or anywhere else?
    Swollen Joints?
    Unusual odor from her breath?
    Change in eye color or iris?
    Swelling anywhere else?

3. Buzzard Bluff Farm

Apr 13, 2011
    Not much poop the last few days - just watery, a little greenish - she can't even get up to poop - I just dry and clean her off and put clean towel under her
    No spots anywhere
    No swollen joints
    No odor
    Eyes look fine
    Breathing seems a little labored (hopefully I am feeding liquids slow enough with the dropper that I'm not sending it to her lungs)

4. flashover1969

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Is the antibiotic you gave her a broad spectrum?

I would take her to a vet since her condition hasn't improved after a dose of antibiotics. She could have a fungal infection and you would need to give her some Nystatin. I hope you find out what this is and your hen gets well! Please keep posting updates [​IMG]

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Read some of the Marek's threads...alot of your symptoms match those listed there. Wasting away, green poop, excess dander and paralysis all point to Marek's. Maybe those threads can be of further help. Good luck

6. Buzzard Bluff Farm

Apr 13, 2011
    Update on my little hen (Katherine Hepburn) - took her in to the vet, but on my way there he was called out on horse emergency so left her there for him to check out when he returns. A little clear fluid now coming from her mouth. Not looking good. Will let you know outcome. Thanks for your input
    Judy

7. Buzzard Bluff Farm

Apr 13, 2011
    Final report on my sick girl. The vet called back and said bile was coming from her mouth now and said he would put her to sleep. He said nothing contagious, just an isolated instance . Possibly she ate something bad ??? The leg issue was probably just weakness. I'm sure the lice/mites added to her weakness also. Will definitely stay more vigilant. Will sure miss her. I have a 4 month old Amer. that I hadn't named yet, she is now "Little Kate"
    Thanks again for your input. Will continue to use this site for all the wonderful info and post a question when in panic mode.

8. flashover1969

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm very sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

9. FrizzledFarmer

FrizzledFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Sorry for your loss! That stinks... You might want to ask for a necropsy just to make sure that it isn't anything that could affect your other birds. Often, even avian vets don't know chickens. Just a thought. Again, sorry you lost her.

10. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Sorry for your loss..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by