Help! Coyote attacked my 4 month old OE Cockerel!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FarmerChic, Apr 17, 2012.

1. FarmerChic

FarmerChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Harwinton, Ct
    Over the weekend coyotes (I think) attacked my smaller flock and killed two out of 5 birds. My OE roo was seriously injured. He has a hole in his neck/crop! When he drinks water it actually comes out his throat. I have called several vets in the area an no one tends to chickens. I would hate to put him to sleep if this can be fixed but I am not sure if crops can be stitched or if they heal on their own. We were away this weekend and I spent all day yesterday calling vets. He seems fine otherwise, he has a normal level of energy, is eating and drinking and even having normal bowel movements. This seems like a miracle to me after seeing the hole in his neck, but I feel it is too late to stitch because it has began to heal already. PLEASE HELP! ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

Very sorry that you have to go through this. I don't know it I would mess with it at this point. I think right now he will either make it or not. It is amazing sometimes how tough they can be.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Wow, it is amazing that he is doing as well as he is. It is the hole in his crop more than the hole in his skin that concerns me. I'm not sure if the crop will heal as fast as the outer skin. I found some information in a link about stitching the crop after helping relieve an impacted crop that might help:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/169423/impacted-crop-surgery

I would also be concerned about preventing infection. We gave a hen PEN G shots of antibiotic after a hawk attack. This is what is generally recommended for skin lesions and can be purchased at most farm stores.

You may want to make another post in the emergencies section to get more responses.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] . So sorry for your losses [​IMG]

5. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

6. FarmerChic

Apr 11, 2012
    Harwinton, Ct
    Thank you, I will post in the emergency section

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Keep the wound clean and watch to make sure he can eat and drink without difficulty. Do not suture the wound, it is too old already and would likely fester. It is very possible that it will heal well on it's own barring infection. Good luck.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. FarmerChic

Apr 11, 2012
    Harwinton, Ct
    Thank you all for your help ;)

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck with your roo. I hope it turns out OK. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by