Help, coyotees scared my chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ysandoz, Sep 19, 2009.

1. ysandoz

ysandoz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    I awoke this morning to coyotes on the hill. Everytime my roosters crowed, the coyottes came down and quickly. I had to have my boys go shoot to scare them away. We had to leave for the day to take my oldest son to college and when we got home tonight, I went out to go shut my chickens in the coop and they were NOT acting normal!! They ALWAYS put themselves in the coop at 7 pm and are ALL ALWAYS on the roosting bars. Tonight when I opened the door, one rooster was sitting by the door on the floor, and some where hiding under the nest boxes. At first I thought that some were dead, or maybe an animal was in the coop. I checked them all and found that they seemed fine, but six of the chickens were hiding out in the run on a roosting ladder. They have never ever done that! I found blood splatter on the outside of the coop, but so far the chickens all look okay. They are still acting odd though. I am worried. Did I miss something??? What should I do???

2. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    Sounds like something got it somewhere.Get a dog if you can or try a radio loud enough for the yotes to hear,something with human scents or Dad says 10 asprin crushed in a bait will do it if theres no worry of other critters getting it. Theres also that red lite critter deterent at poultry supply stores.Keep that gun by the backdoor, good luck.[​IMG]

3. ysandoz

Mar 22, 2009
    I went out this morning to give them their morning treats and I checked the run. No holes or rips in net or fence, but something did try to get in as the fence was pushed in. I can't believe it wasn't worse. I checked all the chickens to find who had splattered blood on the wall, but they all looked clean. I checked everything. ODD! They all seem a bit skittish this morning, but are all walking around outside in the run. I watched them for awhile. I guess that I will have to tie my dog up outside by the coop for awhile today. She isn't much of a watch dog. She doesn't bark much and is more of a lover. Maybe she would if something came to the chickens?
    I still feel like I missed something. Something just isn't right out there. I did hear coyotees this morning again. I have my gun ready to scare them if need be.,

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I know this seems obvious, but have you actually counted to make sure all the birds are there?

If there are coyotes about, I would not leave the dog tied up.

5. paparootzi

paparootzi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Kingston, TN
    Quote:Dito. A "pack" of coyotes could tear up a loveable dog (especially if it's "tied up").

I would try some electrical fencing !!
    Maybe 1 line close to the ground and then another line about a foot off the ground!

I wish these predators would just leave our babies alone!
    Aren't there plenty of critters out there NOT locked up???????

6. ysandoz

Mar 22, 2009
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about them hurting my dog. I would just die if they hurt her! I will see if DH can help me put up an electric fence this afternoon. I did count my chickens, they are all there. They are still a bit odd. Just checked on them again and they seem watchful. Found coyotee poo near the fence. Frustrating me! I am going to do what you suggested and do electric. I already lost 18 this spring to a skunk and racoon. That is why I pen them up at night. I will cry if I lose any more!

7. paparootzi

paparootzi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Kingston, TN
    Good deal! A line close to the ground will keep smaller critters away too!
    I know what you mean about the chickens acting weird for a while when they get scared like that. I was in the chicken house one day and heard them all carrying on and when I went to see what the fuss was about, they were like a stampede, running for the chicken door! They were climbing all over each other to get inside! I saw a hawk fly back up into the trees. (Apparently, it didn't know there was a fence there and no way in for it.) They all huddled together for a while. I noticed one baby missing but found it sitting up against the fence and at first I thought it's legs got torn off or something until I got closer and it got up and ran in with it's mama. (It was just scared stiff)!

8. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    If you can shoot to scare why not shoot to kill before they do get your flock?

9. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    I know I would shoot to kill if needed,like I said they already got my cat outback ain't getting my birds too. Maybe try a camcorder at least see if you can find out what it is that's freakin' them out. I know they sell motion detector cams.

10. ysandoz

Mar 22, 2009
    I am pretty new to this, but I love the camcorder idea!!! I will try to get down to Bi-Mart and see if they have one. I went out this morning and they all seem more normal today. Less skittish. I am glad. Last night my dog was upset about something and wouldn't even go outside to go to the bathroom. I looked around and waited, but didn't find anything. Coyotte maybe? Bobcat?? Cougar?? or just racoons?? Oh well, as least all my babies are alright. I can't wait to see what it scaring them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by